Ginger Beer - Stalled?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
9 days ago I put together a small batch on ginger beer based on a recipe I saw on Youtube. I converted a 10L jerry can from bunnings into a small FV with a drill hole, airlock, grommet, tap and stick on thermometer.

Ingredients:
390g of root ginger (grated in a sanitised food processor);
390g of Honey; and
1Kg of Light Dry Malt Extract.

Method:
I boiled 1.5L of water then added the ginger and boiled for 20 mins.
Added the honey and LDME and boiled for another 10 mins.
Put the pot into an ice bath.
Strained the wort into the cleaned and sanitised FV and topped up to 8L with cold tap water.

Pitched 7g of ale yeast (from a beer kit) at 29C (My mess up: brain fart). I then put the whole FV into a cold water bath (in a small esky) to reduce temp to 20C.

Issue
It bubbled away happily for 5 days and then stopped. I've measured the SG on days 7 to 9 and it is stable at 1.020. According to BrewMate the OG was 1.061 and the target FG is 1.012.

It doesn't seem to be fermenting any further but 1.020 seems too high. I've tried the rapid fermentation test by putting a sample into a sanitised corona bottle, sealing with glad wrap and shaking and leaving in a warmer place for 2 days but the SG is still 1.020.

I've tasted a sample and it tastes ok (perhaps a bit dry and a bit too gingery but not 'off').

Questions
Did I kill some yeast at the start by pitching too high?
Am I OK to bottle in, say, a week's time?
Should I pitch more yeast?

Cheers!

Hi mate,

I've given it a bit of a stir and increased the temp but it's still stuck at 1.020. Should I pitch more yeast?

Cheers!

Thanks Steven. I rehydrated and pitched some more yeast and have moved it up to 20C. Will check in a week's time and see where we get to.

Cheers!

After 4 days, there is no more airlock activity and the SG is still stuck at 1.020.

Not sure where to go from here; any ideas?

Cheers!!

I think I'm just going to underprime each bottle a little bit and use some PET bottles to be safe. Any thoughts?

Cheers!!

Hi shacked, something is not right here, you made the brew and it bubbled for 5 days after which the FG is "stuck" at 1020. Now with no other additions (fermentables) you added more yeast and did it bubbled away again, for 4 days. If so, I can't therefore understand why the FG remains still on 1020. Are you sure your reading the hydrometer correctly or can it be faulty? I'd bottle.
cheers

Yeah Grott, I'm not sure what's going on. For clarity, after pitching more yeast I didn't get any more airlock activity.

The hydrometer seems to work fine; I've made 10 or so batches of beer with no dramas.

I'm going to bottle it on Sunday - it would have been in the primary for 4 weeks. I'll put the PET bottles in an esky and seal it up... yup... bit paranoid about this one. I hope it tastes good after all this!

Cheers!!

I'd never used honey before in a brew... I'm thinking that might have something to do with all this!

No, wouldn't say so. I often put 250gms of bush mallee honey in my English Bitters, never a problem. With only 10 litres perhaps 1020 is the right FG?

The recipe called for Pale Dry Malt Extract and a FG of 1.012.

I used Light Dry Malt Extract but cross-referenced with BrewMate to get an FG of 1.012 on 8L of wort!

Sorry Shacked
been AWOL with work and the computer decided to Go MIA

To err is human
but to really F%$^$%^d things up you need a computer

agree with the other guys
if you got some bubble activity it sounds unlikely that the reading could be the same

so to eliminate the obvious
did you spin the hydrometer to get rid of the air bubbles
unfermentables possible but unlikely
has the paper moved in the hydrometer

other possibility if still stuck at 1020
is that yeast that you used 1st and second time round are only rated to to do a certain amount of alcohol (6-8%)
In wine we have an issue with yeast trying to restart with 12-14% alcohol already there

one option is to use ezferm yeast which can handle 16% alc and is normally used for stuck ferments
being a cerevisiae killer it may work better

check other things first

otherwise ezferm yeast is plan B

Hey Steven,

Computer issues... What a nightmare!

I'm convinced the hydrometer is fine. I tested a coopers toucan just before the ginger beer and it seems to read fine at 1.014. I took a GB sample this morning and left it to settle and measured it again and still got 1.020.

The new yeast didn't seem to ferment it any further.

Confused!!

The yeasts were from coopers tins and the OG according to brewmate was 1.061.

Latest posts

Back