Gelatinised Rice In Crown Lager Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonharley

Reaction score
Alcon

I am going to do a Crown Lager Clone on the weekend and I am keen to use 20% of my grain bill as gelatinised rice ...... can anyone tell me exactly what gelatinised rice is? ...... is it rice cooked in a rice cooker or is there a special way of preparing it.

Silly 5 eyes

it's just cooked rice. Cook till soft and......gelatinised then either add cooled or at mash temp.

Save the rice for an Asian inspired meal. I have used rice a few times in beer and have vowed not to do it again. It isn't a taste I like, even thoe I will drink commercial beers I know have rice in the grain bill. If you want to lighten/thin a beer use 10% plain old sugar and skip the rice.

Drew

I use 1kg of rice in my house lager. I boil it in 5 litres of water for an hour, it turns to a gooy mush. Be careful not to scorch it, I have the heat quite low once it starts to thicken.

You could save yourself the trouble and buy flaked rice from one of the sponsors or LHBS. That's gelatinised rice that's been dried - ready to go.

I find it doesn't just thin a beer out, mine finishes at 1.012. It lightens colour and adds a delicate flavour that seems to suit a pale, malt forward lager. Mine did alright in last year's NSW comp.

EDIT: I'm assuming you are brewing all-grain. The gelatinised or flaked rice needs to be mashed with grain to convert the starch to sugars. If you're brewing extract then I believe you can get rice syrup/extract.

As Jakub says. Boil to a gooey runny mush - I've got a thick bottomed stockpot from Aldi that distributes the heat well. Sugar is Sucrose which consists of Glucose and Fructose linked. However when rice is converted by the spare enzymes in the malt grain it gets largely turned into Maltose, which is glucose and glucose linked together and does turn out differently to da sugaz.

If you want the rice to add a bit of body and fullness, you can premash it in your stockpot - let your gooey mush cool to about 73 degrees in the stockpot, then stir in about a kilo of your base malt and give it a good stir for a few minutes. The alpha amylase in the malt will do some "heavy lifting" and zap the rice starches almost instantly, you can actually feel the thick goop turn to thin soup in just a couple of minutes as you stir. Then chuck the whole lot into the main mash to achieve your 65 degrees or whatever you planned for the main mash.

I just cook it in my rice cooker and then add a litre of cold water to make it gooey and at mash temp.

Latest posts

Back