• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

For Sale: 3v Brewery with HERMS

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am (rather sadly) putting my brewery up for sale. What is on offer is a traditional 3 vessel setup (70L HLT/50L MLT/70L Kettle) with HERMS in the form of one of Nev's Stainless Steel HERM-IT kits.
Whole Brewery #2.jpg

Looks pretty right? Anyway a quick run through of its features:

HLT
The hot liquor tank is 70L stainless steel, heavy based pot and is heated by two copper 2000w elements, which is controlled by a Keg King dual stage temp controller (not the new MkII but the older 16A one). The temp probe from the controller fits straight into a stainless steel thermowell, so you are reading the water temp directly.This temp controller can also handle your fermentation fridge etc. The HLT also has a sight glass which has been calibrated and labelled. The ball valve at the outlet has a male quick disconnect fitting.
HLT and Temp Controller.jpg
HLT Interior.jpg

Mash Tun
The mash tun is a genuine 50L Beerbelly insulated setup. It is a Robinox heavy based stainless steel pot, wrapped in black insultation top, bottom and sides (holds excellent temps for single infusion mash). The MLT has a bi-metal thermometer, stainless steel false bottom and a Beerbelly wort return dish which enter via a ball valve at the top of the pot wall. The inlet and outlet ball valves both have a male quick disconnect fitted.
Mash Tun Interior.jpg

Kettle
The boil kettle is also a genuine Beerbelly setup. It is a 70L Robinox heavy based stainless steel pot, with bi-metal thermometer fitted. The outlet has a pickup tube fitted and the ball valve has a male quick disconnect. There is also a whirlpool inlet with a tangential tube on the interior. This setup results in a pretty good whirlpool and a nice trub cone. The whirlpool inlet ball valve also has a male quick disconnect fitted.
Kettle Interior.jpg

Pumps
This brewery has two Keg King magnetic drive pumps with male quick disconnects fitted to the inlets and outlets. One pump has been used for water only and the other wort only.
Pumps and HERMIT Controller.jpg

At this point I think I will split the posts so I can add more pics :beer:

HERMS
The HERMS setup is one of Nev's stainless steel HERM-IT deals. Is consists of a stainless coil, casing with tri-clamped end caps, inlet, outlet with thermowell (allowing the outlet wort temp to be read by the HERM-IT controller), attachment brackets, 2400W stainless steel heating element and of course the HERM-IT brewery controller (with instruction manual). Again, the inlet and outlets are fitted with male quick disconnects.
HERMIT Casing #3 (small).jpg
HERMIT Casing #1 (small).jpg
HERMIT Casing Interior (small).jpg
HERMS Element (small).jpg
HERMIT Coil (small).jpg
HERMIT Controller (small).jpg

Burner
The burner is a standard 4-ring deal with a low pressure regulator. More than enough to boil a double batch. The legs for the burner bracket are included so it can be used as a free-standing burner.
4 Ring Burner (small).jpg

Brewstand
The brewstand is a big steel deal from Cheeky Peak in Wodonga. Can be used for gravity if you really wanted to but works just fine with the two pumps. The directional castors (only on one end) have brakes on them. All the hoses are silicon and have wire clamps with the female quick disconnects on them making swapping hoses over a breeze.

I have a BeerSmith profile for the brewery which comes pretty close to the mark for volumes etc. and the HERM-IT controller has been calibrated with a lab-grade mercury thermometer. This is a bit of a reluctant sale as I have had quite a bit of fun brewing on this thing. It can brew double batches no problems, the highest ABV I have personally brewed is 7.5% ABV (double batch). It has all the bells and whistles, produces crystal clear wort and some great beers. I can even say that is has been used to brew a 3rd place getter at the 2014 AABC. The whole thing has only been used 8 times and is in very good condition.

Anyway, that's all I can think of to post right now. Of course if anyone wants any more pics or if there are any questions, please ask away. Also if anyone wants to come over and inspect the unit feel free to PM me and we can tee something up. The asking price at the moment is $2800, this is quite a bit cheaper than what it cost to put together so I think it isn't a bad deal. The brewery is ready to be fired up and used right now, there is nothing you need to do to it to get it running. Of course shipping with this thing is probably not feasible. I am located in eastern Melbourne, so if you were to purchase this fine piece of brewing hardware you would need to come and pick it up.

Cheers,

Adam.

Ok then. Price reduction!!

$2200 and all this high quality, ready to go brewing hardware can be yours......woooo!!!

Is be interested in the herms. Pm me if your looking to split

balconybrewer said:
Is be interested in the herms. Pm me if your looking to split
Hi balconybrewer,
At this stage i'd like to offload it as one unit, but if that changes I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Adam.

Second in line for the controller & the Herms setup. Possibly take the complete mash tun too.
I've got a mate who is pretty keen on it if you want to split. PM me for details if you decide to split.
Good luck with the sale mate, it's a nice looking setup. Are you out of the game or looking at something else?

Crusty said:
Second in line for the controller & the Herms setup. Possibly take the complete mash tun too.
I've got a mate who is pretty keen on it if you want to split. PM me for details if you decide to split.
Good luck with the sale mate, it's a nice looking setup. Are you out of the game or looking at something else?
Hi Crusty,
Keen at the moment to keep it together in one setup. Definitely not out of the game, just need a more efficient rig like a GF or a BM. With a 15 month old running around and a new job I need a brew setup that will allow me to make a batch in as short a possible time with as little clean up as possible!

It's a bit of a shame as it is a great rig, but I find myself brewing stovetop BIAB at the minute just because I can get it out of the way before I have to do dad duties. I'm sure this happens to new parents right??

Keep it and brew at night.. Upscale the kettle for 100l output, brew once, brew large.

I've got a second one coming and I assure you, I'll part with my herms when I'm dead.. Maybe not even then.

It does get better, my little one is almost 2, soon shell be assisting

would be interested in the stainless herms housing and the spare arm if u decide to split.

cheers

Sold!! To dannymars pending inspection!

Congrats on a great buy that will bring you many years and litres of happy brewing!

GalBrew said:
Sold!! To dannymars pending inspection!

Congrats on a great buy that will bring you many years and litres of happy brewing!
I'm sure you'll enjoy many a great brew on the new rig dannymars, congrats brother.
I cant speak for the GF GalBrew but I can tell you that the BM is one fine brewing machine. Decisions, decisions.
Well done on the quick sale, it's a fine looking rig.

Yob said:
Keep it and brew at night.. Upscale the kettle for 100l output, brew once, brew large.

I've got a second one coming and I assure you, I'll part with my herms when I'm dead.. Maybe not even then.

Congrats Jesse!

I did hear someone pointed at yer kilt and said "what's up there?"
Obviously nothing's up there it's all in working order!

Adam - Congrat's on the quick sale ('won't be long & you'll be hankering to up-scale & do a rebuild so you can spend more time locked alone in the shed ;) ).

Jesse - Congrat's on No. 2!!!

Crusty said:
I'm sure you'll enjoy many a great brew on the new rig dannymars, congrats brother.
I cant speak for the GF GalBrew but I can tell you that the BM is one fine brewing machine. Decisions, decisions.
Well done on the quick sale, it's a fine looking rig.
Thanks Crusty, It's a tough call, BM or GF??

Back to the interwebs for research!

Yob said:
Congrats Jesse, I don't know how you have the energy for 2. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

MartinOC said:
Adam - Congrat's on the quick sale ('won't be long & you'll be hankering to up-scale & do a rebuild so you can spend more time locked alone in the shed ;) ).

Jesse - Congrat's on No. 2!!!
Thanks Martin. You could very well be right about the future, maybe I can run multiple GFs concurrently??

Anyhow, there are always plenty of excuses to hang out in the shed....that's where the kegerator is!

Latest posts

Back