DR S's golden ale tweek

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elderfi

Reaction score
Hi,

Im going to put down the can version of Dr Smurtos golden ale but I havent got any amirrilo. What I do have is 40grms of Cascade and 100 grms of Citra and 20 grms of Galaxy. So i guess its departing from the original a little bit but has anyone got any ideas?

I'll be using:

1x Can of Coopers Sparkling
1x Can of Wheat extract
250 grms of Simpson imperial
US-05

Also have on hand 2x cans of LME

Thanks all

Can't say I have personal experience with it enough to say yes or no on anything but the guide at the link below mentions Cascade as a possible substitute for Amarillo.

http://byo.com/resources/hops

Name

Alpha Acid %

Possible Substitutions

Flavor Description

Ahtanum

4-6.3%

Amarillo, Cascade

Floral, citrus, sharp, and piney.

Amarillo

8-9%

Cascade, Centennial

Citrusy, flowery.

I always get grapefruity flavours from cascade, as apposed to stonefruit/floral/apricot/plum kinda flavours from amarillo. So it depends on type/how much flavour you want. Citra is great if you like the big fruity hit and can be used for bittering aroma and dry hopping. Galaxy has great passionfruit flavours as long as you use it in the boil, some say it is best to boil it for more than 15 mins or it gets a bit much.

I did one (AG though, not extract) with Hallertau and Galaxy, and I'm currently fermenting one now that's true to the recipe (amarillo inclusive)

DrSmurto said:
10g of each of the 3 hops at 15 and 0.

Sounds good. the 0 addition, is this at flameout i.e. when the wort is 100 degrees and cooling. Or dry hopping around day 5 or 6? or both :super:

0 is traditionally at flame out, so no more boiling but yet to cool... a small boil will cool pretty quick so you will get a fair bit of aroma from it.

If you want more aroma, then dry hop but drop the citra all together for dry hopping - maybe even just cascade for dry.

God speed.

I have a 15 litre pot i use for this purpose. Yeah I think If i dry hop it will be with cascade only, even if I had galaxy left over. I must say Im not overly impressed with galaxy so far (most probably my in experience with brewing) but i found cascade to impart a much nicer flavour / aroma.

Im yet to try citra but I am excited, I had a JS hop thief 5 a few weeks back and that was what inspired my purchase of some citra.

I just put the recipie into the kits and extract spreadsheet and it tells me i will get around 56 ibus!! is this correct?? it would really be on the bitter side....

The boil was set at 10 ltres. Im not really after a blow your head of bitter beer, any suggestions?

DrSmurto said:
Increase the specific gravity of the boil. This reduces the amount of IBU from the boil.
How do you do this? add more LME to the boil?

Ok so she went down last night. I think I over did it with the cascade though.... Im not sure what happend, maybe it was my dodgy scales maybe i was intoxicated by the amazing aromas coming out of hop container. Either way, I have no cascade left :blink: ! so here is what went in

@15 10 galaxy, 10 Citra, 10 Cascade (now im pretty sure of this)
@0 10 galaxy, 10 Citra, and maybe 20-30 cascade!!

Oh well i think it will be great anyway. I dont think ill dry hop though. (I am temped to with some citra because lets be honest that stuff is amazing!)

The 0 addition sat in the kettle from boiling for about 5min, then i put the kettle in the sink with some cool water to bring to pitching temp (took bout 20mins) that enough to draw out enough flavour/aroma?

Latest posts

Back