Diabetic Dry Enzyme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osangar

Reaction score
My grandad is sick direct result of being old, love him to bits tho.

He loves his little bit of stout, and I make Dusty Mud Irish Stout straight from Palmers How to Brew terrific recipe.

Doctors have let him know that he is diabetic how can I make a diabetic stout.

I have read on a few posts that Dry Enzyme is the go add it and itl change complex sugars to simple ones. Cool. But how do I use this magic substance.

Do I need to modify the normal recipe ?

How much do I add to 25L of beer ?

Will it dramatically affect the taste ?

can you offer any guidance - please ?

It comes in two forms - liquid or dry - your home brew store will provide usage instructions but 1 packet is for 1 25L brew and it's about 5g or so. The liquid is about 5 - 10 mL per 25L brew. It goes straight into the fermenter.

You don't need to modify the recipe. It does affect the taste a bit - as it chews up all the remaining dextrins - you get no mouthfeel as the final gravity is 1.000 - the same feel as water.

My grandad is sick direct result of being old, love him to bits tho.

He loves his little bit of stout, and I make Dusty Mud Irish Stout straight from Palmers How to Brew terrific recipe.

Doctors have let him know that he is diabetic how can I make a diabetic stout.

I have read on a few posts that Dry Enzyme is the go add it and itl change complex sugars to simple ones. Cool. But how do I use this magic substance.

Do I need to modify the normal recipe ?

How much do I add to 25L of beer ?

Will it dramatically affect the taste ?

can you offer any guidance - please ?

Osanger,

I can only sympathise with your granddad's plight which of course is another symptom of getting old which of course is a PITA & one that I am fully aware of seeing that I am probably around his age.

I have used dry enzymes in some of my beers in the past & certain brewers have never noticed it. :lol:
That said, although those with better mouthfeel than myself tend to pick up the difference between a non-dry enzyme beer & one with it added I cannot notice much of a difference myself as I am inclined to brew my beers at around 1.063 (Dry).

I am lucky enough not to have diabeties but somehow seem to have out-grown my shorts in the last 18 months & am seriously planning to do a few more dry enzyme brews in the future. :p

To answer your questions ---

1 --- A dry enzyme sachet is meant to be added to a 23 litre wort (30 bottles) IIRC.
2 --- i do not notice a markedly taste difference (Although others might?).
3 --- Give it a go as I'm sure your grandad will never taste the difference & it WILL bring your FG down to 1.000 if your fermentation is done correctly. Add the dry enzyme at the same time as you add the yeast & all will be well.

Say g'day to your grandad for me. :)

TP

Latest posts

Back