Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drag

Reaction score
Is it available from a retail outlet as dried yeast or only from the bottle dregs?

I'm pretty sure the kit yeast is completely different.

Go the fresh CPA 6-pack for a great yeast.

I'm not aware of it being available dry, but I believe WLP009 is pretty similar, if not the same stuff.

Mr Malty describes WLP009 as being from Coopers altho the description of the yeast on the WLP site isnt what i get from this yeast............

It's available as a liquid yeast ATM. White Labs have the Australian ale yeast out as a seasonal right now which is apparently the Coopers yeast. I used it last year and liked it. Here's the info.

WLP009 Australian Ale
Produces a clean, malty beer. Pleasant ester character, can be described as "bready." Can ferment successfully, and clean, at higher temperatures. This yeast combines good flocculation with good attenuation.
Attenuation: 70-75%
Flocculation: High
Ideal Fermentation Temperature Range: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

1 culture of liquid yeast: $15-18

6 dregs of Coopers yeast + 6 beers: $12-15

I know which one I'd buy.

me too! 2 slabs of yeast starter at $68!! ;)

I reckon it's hungrier than 70-75% attenuation.

Folks

If anyone wants the coopers yeast I cultured some out of a bottle (The pale from memory) a few years back and have been propogating it on slants ever since. Its my standard yeast for most brews. If anyone wants a slant, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers
Dave

Folks

If anyone wants the coopers yeast I cultured some out of a bottle (The pale from memory) a few years back and have been propogating it on slants ever since. Its my standard yeast for most brews. If anyone wants a slant, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers
Dave

Silly question but what is a slant?

A slant is a test tube with an agar(like jelly) mixed with malt. The yeast is cultured on the surface of the agar. The angle is to provide a larger surface for more yeast in a small space-efficient tube.
http://www.unm.edu/~draper/beer/slantuse.html

slant.gif

No affiliation etc. etc.

What would one expect to pay for a 6 pack of coopers original pale ale.
I payed 7 bucks for a 1 pale and a 1 sparkling ale stubbies. Does this sound right?

$68 for 48 stubbies.
$2.50 for one stubby of CPA at a drive through. Cheaper if I got out of the car.
Sparkles are usually a bit more expensive.

Not nearly as cheap when you're in NSW though.

Coopers drinking at home and reculturing yeast, can't go past the longnecks imo. Usually $5 each and have quite a lot of yeast sitting in the bottom.

Last time I saw em at dan murph's here I thought it was about 15-16 for a 6er? buy em single and they will be at bit more... depends where your at though, I was at one bottlo recently that wanted $20 for a 6 pack pft...

Anyone know if Coopers pale yeast is the same as their sparkling yeast?

Latest posts

Back