Cleaning Beer Line And Faucets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suchidog

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering how most people clean their beer line and faucets? As this will be my first time I had a search on the forum without success. I was thinking of fill the keg with PBW and water and then pressurising (pretty low) and just running through? Then running through several litres of water to remove all the cleaner.

Good/bad?

Suggestions?

Cheers,
Ben

thats how i do it mate.

i dont adjust the pressure so its what ever im serving at. i also strip and clean the tap after it as well.

Suchidog,

You should always follow an alkaline cleaner (PBW) with an acid rinse (eg Starsan/Saniclean).
If you don't have anything suitable, use plenty of water as you are doing.

Cheers Ross

Suchidog,

You should always follow an alkaline cleaner (PBW) with an acid rinse (eg Starsan/Saniclean).
If you don't have anything suitable, use plenty of water as you are doing.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross. What does the acid rinse do that the alkaline cleaner hasn't?

before someone like Ross with his massive knowledge posts...i'd reckon it'd be like making a neutral...acid...add alkaline..makes neutral...so it doesn't stuff your tap..imho...anyway

The complete opposite, it gets the bugs after the cleaner, 5 star products put that you should clean the vessel or lines with PWB giving access for the acid to kill the bugs. If you dont clean first the bugs can be behind the crud.

Almost all microbrewery run an alkaline then acid to completely clean its a proven performer.

Kleiny

i use 5 litres of pbw in the keg run through half then leave for 10 minutes or so and run the rest, then i do the same with starsan or saniclean.

The complete opposite, it gets the bugs after the cleaner, 5 star products put that you should clean the vessel or lines with PWB giving access for the acid to kill the bugs. If you dont clean first the bugs can be behind the crud.

Almost all microbrewery run an alkaline then acid to completely clean its a proven performer.

Kleiny
thanks cobber...knew someone like you would know ...

I do the above but I'm thinking about using modified pressure sprayers instead, so that I don't have to waste co2.

Even if you used co2 with the pressure sprayers they're smaller so there's a lot less dead space and thus you should waste less co2, but ideally I reckon hand pumping would be the go.

Latest posts

Back