Chunky Yeasts After 10 Days

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8r

Reaction score
hi guys,
im a little concerned about one of my brews.. its been in the fermenter for 10 days now. having previously gone well, ive gone away for the weekend, and now i see a sprinkling of white dots across the top of the brew. nothing major, but what is REALLY wierd is the clumps of yeast-like crap coming out of the tap.the yeast cake does look especially high, so ive run off about 300 odd ml then drawn a hydro sample and the result is the same.. chunky yeast in the sample (and in glass i ran off first), with a heaps of "normal" yeast in suspension as well.

ive let this brew cool down to 10 deg since fri (its the country brewer pale w/crystal and S-04 yeast) as i was looking for some yeast compaction. doesnt smell OR taste essentially funky or off, so am i just having a panic attack?

will post pics tomorrow for clarity.

:chug:

A 'sprinkle' of white dots sounds like a mould to me but if the brew tastes and smells fine, as you say, and it's finished, then I'd bottle/keg but would make sure that you leave a little beer still in the fermenter so as to not get any of the white dots into your finished product.

I did a Country Brewer APA Wetpak during Autumn and the taste is fantastic - I really enjoy drinking the liquid but its eating the solids that are the problem.

The sediment during the fermentation and at the bottom of bottles is large, both in size and number. I suspect this has something to do with using Nestle malts which do not have the hot break removed.

The sediment during the fermentation and at the bottom of bottles is large, both in size and number. I suspect this has something to do with using Nestle malts which do not have the hot break removed.
I haven't done the APA but I did a TCB Oak Ale Wetpak a while back and had no problems with sediment. I think it's an excellent product that has great results and I really doubt that they are using cheap ingredients.

No affiliation but I hate to see a good product incorrectly slandered. :(

This has also happened to me on two occasions when I used S-04 yeast.

For some reason it likes to form large clumps as it ferments which strikes terror in our hearts thinking its a contamination. Fear not, when the fermentation has completed leave the brew in the fermenter for a few days to allow the majority of the chunks of yeast to settle out. When I cracked open a bottle brewed with this yeast I was pleasantly surprised to see how clear it turned out considering how filthy it looked when I bottled it!

hi guys,
im a little concerned about one of my brews.. its been in the fermenter for 10 days now. having previously gone well, ive gone away for the weekend, and now i see a sprinkling of white dots across the top of the brew. nothing major, but what is REALLY wierd is the clumps of yeast-like crap coming out of the tap.the yeast cake does look especially high, so ive run off about 300 odd ml then drawn a hydro sample and the result is the same.. chunky yeast in the sample (and in glass i ran off first), with a heaps of "normal" yeast in suspension as well.

ive let this brew cool down to 10 deg since fri (its the country brewer pale w/crystal and S-04 yeast) as i was looking for some yeast compaction. doesnt smell OR taste essentially funky or off, so am i just having a panic attack?

will post pics tomorrow for clarity.

:chug:

just cracked one of these after bottling 3wks ago with carbo drops.. absolutly flat as a tack.. tastes alot like corona or sol (so, like nothing!).. might try sticking them in the lounge, somewhere nice and warm to get the yeaties woken up again. hopefully the long primary and secondary CC didnt clear the beer RIGHT out :/

Latest posts

Back