Carbonation advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
Hi, Some advice please....

I'm set and forget method carbing my brew, I set it to 10 PSI on the 21 Dec and I need it good to go by tomorrow..... However I tasted this afternoon and it's still on the flat side, only barely carbed enough to drink....

As I previously said I really need it good to go by tomorrow, and I'm very keen not to have it over carbed...

What should I do?

I've increased the PSI to 20 this afternoon and I was thinking of leaving it at 20 and checking tomorrow morning..... is 20 PSI for 18 hours going to do much? Should I put it to 30?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

edit: Fridge is at 3.5C.

Cheers

I'd put at 40 psi for 24 hours if its really quite flat. Make sure its cold enough but not too cold or you'll freeze it (no good!). Then relieve the pressure to 10 psi for serving. That's without shaking which I don't really recommend because its too easy to over/under do it and will stir up any sediment and make it all cloudy. Also if you do get a bit over carbed set to serve slower at 5-7 psi to minimise head.

9 days at 10psi should have carbed it up fairly well therefore is the keg leaking?
However I think the most common cause can be non return valves. If you have one at the reg and another elsewhere the 10 psi may not be enough to always open them.
I have 3 between reg and keg and set reg at 14psi which gives me good carbonation.

Bumping it to 20 sounds ok to me but I'd check it every 4 hours if poss, which when sleeping would be a PITA..maybe when you go to bed, purge and set to 14 then when you get up test and ramp back up - 40 psi could be risky but if that's how you roll...

Thanks guys, no leak as far as i can tell. It's puzzling. I've bumped it up to 30 psi, I might decrease it overnight and then bump it up again tomorrow morning.

I really wish this was an exact science!

I have a funny feeling my thermometer is off for my fridge temp controller thingy. I'm have to double check it.

I have a funny feeling my thermometer is off for my fridge temp controller thingy. I'm have to double check it.
Not unlikely. Also your co2 reg gauge may not be that accurate either that would explane why its flat. 9 days at 10 PSI should have done it so likely it was less etc. Just don't crank down the fridge too much and freeze your beer lines etc for news years eve that would be bad....
Re. I'd set it at 40psi now and in the morning. de pressurize (gently) to 8-10 psi and serve, judge.
If its still flat then re- crank it to 40 for a few more hours. Gently depressurise to 7 - 10 psi and serve.
Slower pour. Fizzy Frothy beer for NYE!

Thanks guys, no leak as far as i can tell. It's puzzling. I've bumped it up to 30 psi, I might decrease it overnight and then bump it up again tomorrow morning.
I really wish this was an exact science!
It is an exact science!
If you know the temperature of the beer and the pressure
A small fan (say from a computer) in the fridge will keep the temperature homogeneous, measure it with a good thermometer.
Have a look at Carbonation in Braukaiser, there are tables and at the foot typical carbonation levels based on style. There is also an equation that you can put into a spreadsheet which will let you play what if games.
Set the pressure to get the carbonation you want and wait... It takes time to reach equilibrium.

NB. It is important to be able to measure the pressure and the temperature accurately. If you have NRV valves in the line or built into the regulator you can probably forget the reg gauge. You might want to think about buying a good quality gauge and fitting it to a disconnect, disconnect the gas when you think the pressure is right and then take a reading with your good gauge. I brought a digital gauge for doing this, had it calibrated by the supplier cost around $100. You could get away with a cheaper one but you do get what you pay for.

Here is a little spreadsheet I put together years ago for just this job.
Poop of a website wont let me download Excel, here is a PDF that has the equations, you can work it out from there, or PM me and I will send a copy, by email if necessary.
Mark

Attachments

• FiZZZZZZZZ.pdf
    286.1 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back