Bottle fermentation temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
I keg all my brews these days but I usually end up with 2 or 3 PET bottles over which I put away.
I have found that my keg beer always tastes better as the bottles often have that green apple (aldehyde?) flavour about them.
So my question is- do you think this is from temps that are too high when bottle carbing? Or does the temo not make much difference at this stage of the yeast cycle?

I use carb drops and put them under the bed for a couple of weeks before transfering to the fridge for another 2 or more weeks. The house temp probably exceeds 30C regularly in Townsville.

The apple taste is usually from the intermediate compound mentioned (acetyladehyde) (may have spelled that wrong) but should be present in both keg and bottle when green as far as I'm aware? Are you drinking the bottles before the kegs? As far as I'm aware green apple is an incomplete fermentation or more specifically incomplete conditioning issue as opposed to a packaging issue? For what it's worth they say store the bottles for a few weeks at the temperature they were fermented at before moving to cellar or fridge but anything around the 20 degrees mark should be fine and is what I store my bottles around before they go into the fridge

I would say that, the temp (within reason) at which the bottles are carbed at would not have a large effect on the overall taste, much the same way that different sorts of priming sugar don't make a great deal of difference in taste.

However in your case the plus 30 degree temps may give you some sort of change in flavour due to the development of undesirable chemicals within the beer.
Whether acetyladehyde could be formed in this way, I have no idea. Unfortunately we don't get that many days over 30 degrees in Hobart...

I had an American wheat beer that was in the garage during a heat wave. Was all kinds of delicious, but after the heat wave, it was undrinkable with a kind of cat piss, astringent flavour. I'm not sure if it's what you're tasting but beer should be stored below 30C!

One of the causes of acetaldehyde (there are a few) is stressed yeast. While bottle conditioning shouldn't give rise to a large amount, you may be more sensitive than others to that compound.
Regardless of the cause and whether you've diagnosed it correctly, heat is a major factor in accelerating oxidation/staling reactions, the pathways for which have already been set way back in the process. Acetaldehyde can be formed from ethanol due to oxidation and so can other unpleasant compounds. Ferment temps to carbonate, then keep bottles as cool/cold as possible.

I like to store mine in styrofoam broccoli boxes they're cheap and very good at keeping the beer cool if you don't have enough fridge space.

Pugdog1 said:
I like to store mine in styrofoam broccoli boxes they're cheap and very good at keeping the beer cool if you don't have enough fridge space.
Yep got exactly the same, they can maintain 16 in a 30 degree shed with no ice and just a towel over the top

Latest posts

Back