Amarillo Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
Guys,

I recently brewed a pale ale with cultured coopers yeast an used some Cascade hops for flavour and aroma.

I am going to put sown another brew and wanted to use Amarillo hops. My brew books I have don't have any info on Amarillo - but have seen a lot of posts for pale ales using Amarillo.

Possibly looking to use some Cascade and Amarillo.

Any info comments on Amarillo would be appreciated.

Cascade on steroids :beerbang:

Its a luverly hop, and a big favourite for many brewers in Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. Good discussion (albiet over many many pages!) on it in the recipe database for the good Dr's beer.

Give it a crack, you wont be disappointed.

Its a luverly hop, and a big favourite for many brewers in Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. Good discussion (albiet over many many pages!) on it in the recipe database for the good Dr's beer.

Give it a crack, you wont be disappointed.

:icon_offtopic:
speaking of this why dont other winners of brewing comps post their recipe's?

Guys,

I recently brewed a pale ale with cultured coopers yeast an used some Cascade hops for flavour and aroma.

I am going to put sown another brew and wanted to use Amarillo hops. My brew books I have don't have any info on Amarillo - but have seen a lot of posts for pale ales using Amarillo.

Possibly looking to use some Cascade and Amarillo.

Any info comments on Amarillo would be appreciated.

Kind of citrussy. Signature hop of james Squire Golden ale when it's not in shortage. I 'm also certain I can taste it distinctly in beechworth pale ale (along with chinook if I'm not mistaken).

Pretty tasty hop as far as I'm concerned.

:icon_offtopic:
speaking of this why dont other winners of brewing comps post their recipe's?

Secret Brewers Business maybe? :lol:
I know here in SA, some of the State winners are not involved in the brewing forums at all.

I used 135g of fresh Amarillo pellets that I recently got from hops direct yesterday. They smelled devine and are a fresh light green colour.
It is a APA with biscuit and caramalt, and I will dry hop each fermenter of this one with more amarillo.
Really looking forward to tasting this baby :icon_drool2:

There's a good discussion of this hop here.

- Snow

you would have to drink the apa within 6 to 8 weeks as i have found that the cascade dies down quicker than amarillo, and that was with 90 grams of cascade to 15 grams of amarillo in the brew

Fantastic aroma hop. Love it to bits. I've made some k&b beers I really didn't like in the past but I kept cracking them just to smell that Amarillo.

Latest posts

Back