All froth & no bubble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, well maybe check your keg, hose and tap fittings for anything that might create turbulence as the liquid flows past and maybe.
Check that the fridge is actually obtaining that 2 C through out with an independent temp gauge.
I find it is easier to come up to serving pressure than lower it, but you have to allow the time for reaction to take effect.
Is it pouring really fast as well, or just frothy?
Just frothy. I can control the speed with the pressure. After 2- mins the froth from the glass has dissolved and the taste and head retention is good. It’s just when I pour.

OK, I reckon read post#10 from Meddo again and have a good think about what you've done so far.
If you are playing around with pressure to alter the pour speed, then I think that is a problem there, don't give up, your nearly there!
Temperature has a direct influence on how gases behave (pressure wise), keywords are equilibrium and stability between temp and pressure.

OK, I reckon read post#10 from Meddo again and have a good think about what you've done so far.
If you are playing around with pressure to alter the pour speed, then I think that is a problem there, don't give up, your nearly there!
Temperature has a direct influence on how gases behave (pressure wise), keywords are equilibrium and stability between temp and pressure.
Ok thanks Grok.

As per Grok's mention (cheers Grok 👍) the following assumes you've read my post #10. Was just about to give that same advice until he pointed out I'd already done so in this thread 😝

Burst carbonating, as per your brewshop's advice, is great when it works and a pain in the arse when it doesn't. Unless you're in a position of needing the beer ASAP I'd recommend just hooking your newly filled kegs up to serving pressure and letting it carb up over five days or so - it's almost impossible to over-carb doing it this way.

I'd recommend not using pressure adjustment on the fly to alter pour speed. The last thing you want to do is have lower pressure supplied to the keg than its carbonation level while you're trying to pour a beer - any turbulence in the lines will cause it to de-gas since there won't be enough pressure to keep the gas in solution.

To fix your current keg, either try to forcibly decarbonate like mentioned in my earlier post, or a better (imo) method is to let it de-gas gradually by removing head pressure. Leave your regulator set to your serving pressure (say 0.8-1.0 bar, whatever you've balanced your line lengths at) but disconnect the gas from the keg and pull the prv to release all head pressure. Pull the prv again to release all pressure next time you think of it and have a listen whether much gas had built up. Assuming it had (indicating the beer has de-gassed somewhat), if it's a good time for a beer, hook the gas up to the keg again and when the gas has finished flowing into the keg pour a beer and see how you go. If still no good, keep repeating the process of disconnecting and de-pressurising the keg (and giving the beer time to de-gas in the keg) then re-pressurising and test pouring until you're getting the pours you want, then leave the gas connected from that point on.

Note the above assumes that your system is balanced in regards to line lengths and otherwise set up to pour properly, so that you're in a position to identify when the keg has reached the correct CO2 content by it beginning to pour well. Check out line length calculators and carbonation charts to confirm this all if you haven't already, a good rule of thumb for most home keg systems is around 10 seconds to pour a schooner of a typical ale or lager.

Note also that you've said you're keeping your Pluto gun in the fridge which is perfect, but if you're messing around for a while trying to sort your system out with the fridge door open there's every chance the gun will warm up (if it's a stainless one) and mess with your pours in its own right.

As per Grok's mention (cheers Grok 👍) the following assumes you've read my post #10. Was just about to give that same advice until he pointed out I'd already done so in this thread 😝

Burst carbonating, as per your brewshop's advice, is great when it works and a pain in the arse when it doesn't. Unless you're in a position of needing the beer ASAP I'd recommend just hooking your newly filled kegs up to serving pressure and letting it carb up over five days or so - it's almost impossible to over-carb doing it this way.

I'd recommend not using pressure adjustment on the fly to alter pour speed. The last thing you want to do is have lower pressure supplied to the keg than its carbonation level while you're trying to pour a beer - any turbulence in the lines will cause it to de-gas since there won't be enough pressure to keep the gas in solution.

To fix your current keg, either try to forcibly decarbonate like mentioned in my earlier post, or a better (imo) method is to let it de-gas gradually by removing head pressure. Leave your regulator set to your serving pressure (say 0.8-1.0 bar, whatever you've balanced your line lengths at) but disconnect the gas from the keg and pull the prv to release all head pressure. Pull the prv again to release all pressure next time you think of it and have a listen whether much gas had built up. Assuming it had (indicating the beer has de-gassed somewhat), if it's a good time for a beer, hook the gas up to the keg again and when the gas has finished flowing into the keg pour a beer and see how you go. If still no good, keep repeating the process of disconnecting and de-pressurising the keg (and giving the beer time to de-gas in the keg) then re-pressurising and test pouring until you're getting the pours you want, then leave the gas connected from that point on.

Note the above assumes that your system is balanced in regards to line lengths and otherwise set up to pour properly, so that you're in a position to identify when the keg has reached the correct CO2 content by it beginning to pour well. Check out line length calculators and carbonation charts to confirm this all if you haven't already, a good rule of thumb for most home keg systems is around 10 seconds to pour a schooner of a typical ale or lager.

Note also that you've said you're keeping your Pluto gun in the fridge which is perfect, but if you're messing around for a while trying to sort your system out with the fridge door open there's every chance the gun will warm up (if it's a stainless one) and mess with your pours in its own right.
Thanks Meddo. Everything makes sense there but I’m still a bit confused on theses charts, line lengths thingos.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thanks Meddo. Everything makes sense there but I’m still a bit confused on theses charts, line lengths thingos.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
And this is what my kegged beer looks like after pouring it 3 times to wait for the froth to dissipates.

Attachments

• IMG_2756.jpeg
    IMG_2756.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back