Adventurous Randall Stuffings.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread about using food stuffs in Randalls (or whatever you want to call them).

Last year I was pretty impressed with the inner melbourne crew and there mini randall jobbies but actually can't recall to many of them, Saison and cum quots sp? I recall and being awesome but can't recall any actuall flavours, eitherway that is one up on the list.
The wheatsheaf have been plenty adventurous with cucumber and mint and Moo pils, I was not much of a fan of the cucumber and the mint was not huge at the time.
Last week it was lemongrass and chilli with scribbly gum, that worked fairly well and I wonder if coriander leaf would work. They have done quite a few that can't recall right now but it would be good to get a list happening.
At brewboys theres been cherries, strawberries, blackberries and melons with wheat beer. Coffee and stout seems a good choice but you do have to go easy, last time I had one pint and was peaking out for hours.
One hop that I thought worked well which would have most in disgust is whole NZ cascade with Ace Of Spades, that shakespeared it up nicely.

I joke often about using pork hocks in there, maybe would not work with all the fat but I like the idea.

This thread could proberly fit in recipes and ingredients or gear and equipment but I think the Pub is the spot for it.

I posted the same question on the brewboys facebook page for any of you facepagers out there interested.

Thoughts?
Cheers
Jayse

coriander leaf would be like drinking soap beer.

The best ive done is stewed peaches and also had a play with freshly roasted and ground cacao nibs.

coriander leaf would be like drinking soap beer.

The best ive done is stewed peaches and also had a play with freshly roasted and ground cacao nibs.

Yeah my thoughts are coriander leaf would not work out well but still you never know.
Where do you get cacao nibs? sounds interesting.

Watermelon with something like a Pilsner

What did you do the peaches with 4*?

I think the main fillings used in the mini randalls at ANHC were Star anise, lemon grass, rose petals, kumquats, dried mushed cranberries and crunchie bar.

I think we had more (like bacon) but those were the ones we actually used.

Q

Yeah my thoughts are coriander leaf would not work out well but still you never know.
Where do you get cacao nibs? sounds interesting.

I got them from the health area of a roy morgan/vitaminME chemist. Google for them and you can buy them online.

What did you do the peaches with 4*?

From memory i did it with a Bohemian Pilsner. Worked out well.

Cheers Q, I recall some of them but only vaguelly, forgoten all about the crunchie bar and even though I remember now on you mentioning it I still don't recall what it tasted like or even if I tried it.

I had thought of watermelon pennywise, maybe with wheat beer also.

Maybe have to make a mini one or two and have a mini randall night, some of the ingredients would possibly not go all that well sitting in the main one for a few days on end though and changing them everyday is not very practical.
The strawberries didn't look all that great after three days, also they had a weird gummy puckering mouthfeel for awhile at the start, didn't really rate them that highly at the time.

Forgot to add a pic before.

hop_tower.jpg

Wig and Pen in Canberra did a brown ale once, they pushed it through there 'Modus Hoperandus' full of Juniper berries, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Vanilla some hops and some Truffles.....

Would love to do a wheat beer running through a randall with watermelon and mint...

Diced liver.... :rolleyes:

OK maybe starfruit with a wheat or even a lager.

What's the filter made of?

Edit: Actually, can you give us the full build of this bad boy reVox?

i so need some sample jars like that, my one i made out of screw lid plastic ware requires meters of Teflon tape otherwise it leaks everywhere.

at a guess the central "filter" is a chopped up plastic cutting board with a few holes in it.

Beer line in through bulkhead fitting through "filter" board into hop chamber
Beer out through some small holes in the "filter" board picked up by a second bulkhead and line

Seems pretty simple. Just got to find a sample jar of the right size i guess... would be pretty cool at a party

What's the filter made of?

Edit: Actually, can you give us the full build of this bad boy reVox?

It's TB's design/build. I'm sure he'll chime in here at some point (and I hope I'm not obligating him to do so!) but I can't imagine him not extending the build.

Cheers

Cheers Q, I recall some of them but only vaguelly, forgoten all about the crunchie bar and even though I remember now on you mentioning it I still don't recall what it tasted like or even if I tried it.

I had thought of watermelon pennywise, maybe with wheat beer also.

Maybe have to make a mini one or two and have a mini randall night, some of the ingredients would possibly not go all that well sitting in the main one for a few days on end though and changing them everyday is not very practical.
The strawberries didn't look all that great after three days, also they had a weird gummy puckering mouthfeel for awhile at the start, didn't really rate them that highly at the time.

Forgot to add a pic before.

The randall sure looks impressive! Anyone know who builds these at all?

The randall sure looks impressive! Anyone know who builds these at all?
I think Browndog made Rossco one for a QLD Xmas case swap using a small filter housing, about half the size of a standard randall. However this is also quite possibly wrong since I'm trying to recall something from a Xmas Case Swap :rolleyes: .

I'd be up for one of those mini-randalls for home though, very nice.

Latest posts

Back