1/2 Rainwater 1/2 Tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
I have just installed a rainwater tank and am tempted to brew with some rain water. I also would like to know the CA and MG figures to calculate my residual Alaklinity for any salt additions. If I were to mix 1/2 Brisbane tap water and 1/2 rainwater to lower alkalinity and soften it a bit would I divide it in half to get an accurate water analysis. For instance if I knew that the tap water contained 20 ppm calcium would I now have 10 ppm? Have I complicated this?

Cheers, JJ

JJ,

From what I understand you are correct. I think half rain and brissy tap water would be good.

hockers

Just make sure your tank water is sterile/sanitised - boil it, treat it or use a UV steriliser inline to make sure.

Just make sure your tank water is sterile/sanitised - boil it, treat it or use a UV steriliser inline to make sure.

DJR

This is not realy required for all grain.

JJ

I have just installed my tanks as well and hope to try an all rain water brew day next weekend. I have already tested the ph and it is about 6 ish.

If you were a little persuasive you may even be able to get the people in the lab at work to give you an analysis of your water.

Derrick

If you were a little persuasive you may even be able to get the people in the lab at work to give you an analysis of your water.

For those of us who dont have access to a lab is there anywhere we could send water to for analysis? Brisbane council put out a water report but what about brewers who cant get one.

I know in the US they have Ward Labs and it only cost them $15 for a water report.

I never thought of that. That is a sensational idea!!

Cheers, JJ

For those of us who dont have access to a lab is there anywhere we could send water to for analysis? Brisbane council put out a water report but what about brewers who cant get one.

I know in the US they have Ward Labs and it only cost them $15 for a water report.

Jye

You could ask around at the Uni. There would have to be someone testing water at some stage and they may even appricate another (unknown) sample.

I belive most councils offer the service for people drinking tank water, for a fee.

Derrick

I have just installed my tanks as well and hope to try an all rain water brew day next weekend. I have already tested the ph and it is about 6 ish.

Derrick
[/quote]

Hmmm, mine is 5.5ish. I must have more birds crapping on my roof :D
Testing the water would be good though.

rain water is generally fairly neutral compared with hard city water. (great for lager style beers, but not hard enough for a decent ale IMO)
mixing would be a good way to soften your mains water, or use 100% rain water and add gypsum to your required level.

I too have installed a rain tank recently. Seems to be a popular addition in Brissie at present!

I'm a bit wary of using the water though without a filter. I have thought about installing a filter but it seems that to get a decent result you need to install a dual stage filter which is exxie. The other problem as I understand it, is that these filters need to be used daily to maintain hygiene of the cartridges.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

it's already gone through evaporation and precipitation, and running into a new clean tank, then you're going to boil it. Why do you need to run it through a filter?

it's already gone through evaporation and precipitation, and running into a new clean tank, then you're going to boil it. Why do you need to run it through a filter?

Because of all the crap on the roof. Who knows what lands on your roof in the city.

go have a look the next time your local council digs up the local water pipes.
my roof is damn clean compared with them.

As an Ex-plumber who has had occasion to swim around in peoples rain water tanks, I would be wary of the water.

Just a couple of things that come to mind, other than the self evident one about bird poop, and tanks being some form of heaven for green tree frogs:-
If the water was pure the pH would be 7, by definition.
There are still plenty of leaded cars out there; Tetraethyl lead is bad shit ok.
The most Carcinogenic compound known can be found in diesel exhaust.
Urban particulate fallout includes all the crap we love breathing including, but not limited to the above, powdered concrete, paint particles, metals, oxides of nitrogen, some very strange sulphur compounds and more.

Ok we leave the bacteria count alone as yes we are going to boil the wort - there are still lots of reasons to be careful, at a minimum I would carbon filter the water, ideally particulate filter, carbon filter then boil.

Honestly in most cases I dont think you will have any problem, just think about where you live, and what's in the air, there are places where you can get reports on atmospheric pollution (this is what will be in your water tank). Baring that find a tank thats been in use for a couple of years, make up a long dipper and see how much muck you can dredge up from the bottom.

It would be brash to blithely assume the water is OK.

MHB

if we're going down that path, lets look at the water coles sprays their veges with and where our fruit and veg is grown
all i'm saying is there's a point when you're worrying about if you should filter your rainwater, then sucking exhaust fumes for an hour each day and smoke a pack of cigges.
let's not start the "is it ok to eat fish but not red meat" fine line debate again.

i still think rainwater would be a better lesser threat to sucking on bus diesel fumes

off topic slightly, I brew with Rain Water, where would i find some Gypsum ?

cheers

yard

Some gardeners use gypsum to break down clay, but that is probably not food or beer grade. Come to think of it, I've never thought about Food Grade Gypsum... Is there another way?

i looked under chemicals in the yellow pages
local(ish) place and bought 5kgs - smallest amount they sell.
plenty for later

after sept 11, they're a bit cagey though.

As an aside I was at Ross' place the other day and had an opportunity to try a few of his house beer (always some minor modification, but somewhat stock) which had been brewed since he filled his take up with with tanker water, probably from from Brisbane City water supplies. I noticed across a few beers brewed with the new more town than tank water and they were not as soft/silky as Ross' normal brews. If you can obtain a nice soft source of water it might save you using a RO filter to get your larger water softer. But I guess it was a very non scientific and subjective evaluation.

Jimmy Jack do you have a couple flushes (sorry the technical name escapes me at present) for downfall water before it starts to top your tank. That is the first amount of rain goes down the drain whilst most of the dust and crap from your roof is being washed off by rain.

i looked under chemicals in the yellow pages
local(ish) place and bought 5kgs - smallest amount they sell.
plenty for later

after sept 11, they're a bit cagey though.

Thanks Tangent, out of interest, what type of shop was it, eg; garden supplies etc...

cheers

Back