Will Heat Resistant Paint Work On Brewstand

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
Just in the process of finishing off my new welded brewstand. (thanks for the design assist Franko). I would like to paint the supports around the Rambo burner with a heat resistant paint such as 'pot belly' (rated 300c) or 'engine black' (rated 500c).

Anyone tried these paints on their rigs or would the heat coming off the burner be too intense to make them effective.

Cheers, Hoges.

I've used pot belly black paint for a number of applications. Of these I have used it on a pot belly stove that used to begin glowing in places, a wood stove and now around my shield for my burner. The paint stays on with no problem and not burning, but may need touching up every 12 months or so.

Gavo.

Digging up an old thread but wondering if anyone else has used hi temp paint for their brewstand and if so how did they cure it?

I had planned to use pressure pack enamel for most of the stand and hi temp silicon paint for just around the burner. However the difference between the two paints, both metallic charcoal, was too noticeably different so I gave the whole thing a couple of coats of the high temp.

Now I realise the paint needs to bake around 120 degrees C for an about hour to fully cure and most of the stand will never see that heat. I've been using my spiral burner and leaving it under the stand and moving it now and then to heat it up but it seems a bit sporadic. I don't really want to transport it to somewhere that can bake it.

Has anyone done the same and not gone to the trouble of curing it?

@Bradsbrew, how did the heatgun method work?

Am I being a twat and just need to finish it already?

Camo6 said:
Digging up an old thread but wondering if anyone else has used hi temp paint for their brewstand and if so how did they cure it?

I had planned to use pressure pack enamel for most of the stand and hi temp silicon paint for just around the burner. However the difference between the two paints, both metallic charcoal, was too noticeably different so I gave the whole thing a couple of coats of the high temp.

Now I realise the paint needs to bake around 120 degrees C for an about hour to fully cure and most of the stand will never see that heat. I've been using my spiral burner and leaving it under the stand and moving it now and then to heat it up but it seems a bit sporadic. I don't really want to transport it to somewhere that can bake it.

Has anyone done the same and not gone to the trouble of curing it?

@Bradsbrew, how did the heatgun method work?

Am I being a twat and just need to finish it already?
I used pot belly black paint on my old brew stand & it flaked & started coming off.
I had two 23jet Mongolian's running & it got pretty hot. No reason you can't just touch it up now & then.

Yeah, think I'll have to suck it and see. My main concern is the areas that don't see heat will be soft and scrape off too easily. But who am I kidding, steel against paint is gonna scratch no matter what I do to it. A pity stainless tube is so pricey.

I think I'll have to take lots of pics while its pristine and virginal. Two things that aren't that common in Mooza B.

Latest posts

Back