Too much hop matter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shacked

I like beer
Reaction score
I've got a Rye IPA in the primary that's almost fully attenuated (about 76%). I did about 25g of hops in the kettle and 150g in the cube. I'm planning on another 100 odd grams of dry hops. There is already a ton of hop matter in the primary, notwithstanding I strained some out when transferring from the cube.

Should I wait a few days, rack to secondary and add the dry hops (and cold crash)? Or just throw more hops in the primary?

I've done a bit of a search on the forum but it seems there are mixed opinions on this.

The last APA I did had 10g in the kettle, 100g in the cube, 60g dry. I cold crashed for a week and siphoned to the keg and it still clogged up the liquid post.

I dry hopped about 310g into an IPA... I just chocked up the tap side so the tap was above the hop material. Cold crash well (at least 5 days at 0°), keep tilted when kegging.

6g/L is a good amount for dry hopping IPAs

Something I discovered the other day when my disconnect and beer out post poppets got blocked up with hop debris......take them out for the transfer.

I removed the poppet from the post, the pin/spring from the disconnect and it flowed no worries.

Pratty1 said:
6g/L is a good amount for dry hopping IPAs

Something I discovered the other day when my disconnect and beer out post poppets got blocked up with hop debris......take them out for the transfer.

I removed the poppet from the post, the pin/spring from the disconnect and it flowed no worries.
Maybe a stupid question, if it blocks on the way in won't it have a possibility of blocking on the way out?

BrutusB said:
Maybe a stupid question, if it blocks on the way in won't it have a possibility of blocking on the way out?
Ahh, you have to remove the poppets and pins on both inlet and outlet. Sorry I didn't explain that as my inlet currently is through the lid opening ( yet to purchase another disconnect with mdl thread )

shacked said:
I've got a Rye IPA in the primary that's almost fully attenuated (about 76%). I did about 25g of hops in the kettle and 150g in the cube. I'm planning on another 100 odd grams of dry hops. There is already a ton of hop matter in the primary, notwithstanding I strained some out when transferring from the cube.

Should I wait a few days, rack to secondary and add the dry hops (and cold crash)? Or just throw more hops in the primary?

I've done a bit of a search on the forum but it seems there are mixed opinions on this.

The last APA I did had 10g in the kettle, 100g in the cube, 60g dry. I cold crashed for a week and siphoned to the keg and it still clogged up the liquid post.

If I siphon from my jerrycan or transfer from my olive drum I put a filter bag similar to this in the keg to catch any hop matter that gets sucked out.
http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=947

Not much use if you cube ferment, but these jiggers save a bunch of hop related pain. Boiled or dry.
Clogged poppets and disconnects are a HB shitfight second only to stuck sparges.

hopspider.jpg

I ended up using a door wedge and a few days at 1C and the hops seemed to drop out and I kegged with no dramas.

Latest posts

Back