Things that make you proud to be a parent

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Well my kids are into BMX racing...yes it can get rather expensive..

Currently we are holding a round of the state championships with 400 riders entered

This morning was a coaching session and I was lucky enough to get both my boys in

And it just so happens that they got coaching from 2 world champions, both under 21.

2 of the most humble and nicest people you could ever hope to meet

Needless to say the boys learnt a hell of a lot in 2hrs, and I was stoked that they got that opportunity :D

Great idea for a thread. Here's a too-complex situation to go into all that happened and all the nuances…but my wife and I run a daycare. There's one boy who's often rough and gets off on the other kids' fear. He tried to get my daughter under her fear the other day and pushed her down and growled. She jumped up, got into a good solid stance and pushed him down with a solid push in the centre of his chest. Then she cut loose with a full-blooded banshee scream, gave him a toothy smile/snarl and said, "That's not how we treat each other." He waited 'til she was out of the room and then said, "I need to hide." And he was not wrong. That's my girl. She's 5.

By the way, kids aren't just, "little enlightened beings," lady. Random encounter the other day. M

My daughter wears a shirt to her karate class that says "happy to demonstrate what hits like a girl really means".

It's my son though that is making me do the proud parent thing at the moment. He's 15 and in year 10. As part of the assessment, they need to do a weeks work experience. He has always wanted to be a physicist. For as long as we can remember. So he wanted to do work experience in physics. Not easy to arrange.

In desperation, we suggested that he write to Dr Karl (you know, from the radio) and ask for advice. We had heard that he was rotten at replying to emails so we suggested an actual paper letter. Which was duly done.

We were hoping for a quick note back with some words if encouragement and some names to contact. Instead, we get a note saying that Karl would love to meet him and why doesn't he come in to the abc on Thursday to help with the recording. "dad... Can I have a day off school to meet Dr Karl?" to which the answer was hell yes.

So off he goes. We were expecting to get shown around the studio, have a few fanboy moments, get given some names to contact and that's it. I send him a message round lunchtime to see how it's going and he's "we're just discussing the script for Karl's next great moments in science... Can't chat, busy". That seems to be going well thinks I. Anyway he comes home and tells us that Dr k is going to be arranging something for work experience. Seems Karl was really impressed with him.

Over the next few days we get a string of emails and Dr Karl has arranged a week of work experience in science week with him and a bunch of top notch physicists at the uni of Sydney. We are absolutely stoked.

So we're sitting around the table one day after school. My 9yo daughter, 7yo son, and myself. I don't know how the conversation started but it got onto different family types. They were asking how some kids have one mum or one dad... and then how some have two mums or two dads. I said as long as everyone is loved and cared for it's all good.
Then my son comes out with this, "You know, I reckon it would be pretty boring having two mums, cos no one would know how to set up the Playstation."

Took me a long while to stop laughing after that one.

**** the Playstaion

My boys in action
13781757_1185267141545802_8147886339064436264_n.jpg
13710045_1185267754879074_3165692607835316727_n.jpg
Jarrah CV BMX carnival.jpg

My 7yo boy (8 later this year) has been guiding my Daughter and I across the road to School this past fortnight (to show he can do it safely on his own) and yesterday he crossed on his own with us a little way behind. He also just finished his first full season of U10's footy and just missed out on most improved player. He has been thumped a few times but pulls himself up and gets back in there, the whole team wear head protection so they go in pretty hard at the ball. It;s good to see him in a team sport where I believe they learn many lessons but the most important to me is they learn that they can play the game of their life as an individual and still lose as a team, that's a good lesson in life. But now footy is over he'll have to play Golf with Dad for summer...

Daughter (6 soon) - well, she's a funny one, somehow she can fall over when she's just standing in the kitchen and seem un-coordinated. She can be a bit crazy and loud - always smiling but she does Ballet and we see that she can be very disciplined and co-ordinated, so she has the ability to focus and complete tasks - a good student, tenacious - a good quality to have in life.

My daughter's first proper word spoken ... "beer"... the wife was unimpressed...

droid said:
My 7yo boy (8 later this year) has been guiding my Daughter and I across the road to School this past fortnight (to show he can do it safely on his own) and yesterday he crossed on his own with us a little way behind. He also just finished his first full season of U10's footy and just missed out on most improved player. He has been thumped a few times but pulls himself up and gets back in there, the whole team wear head protection so they go in pretty hard at the ball. It;s good to see him in a team sport where I believe they learn many lessons but the most important to me is they learn that they can play the game of their life as an individual and still lose as a team, that's a good lesson in life. But now footy is over he'll have to play Golf with Dad for summer...

Daughter (6 soon) - well, she's a funny one, somehow she can fall over when she's just standing in the kitchen and seem un-coordinated. She can be a bit crazy and loud - always smiling but she does Ballet and we see that she can be very disciplined and co-ordinated, so she has the ability to focus and complete tasks - a good student, tenacious - a good quality to have in life.
Droid

I have a good friend whose daughter was diagnosed ADHD. Struggled through school but excelled at ballet. Almost miraculously she was calm and focused when doing ballet. She has competed and done very well internationally. She's danced with the Australian Ballet as a junior at the opera house. She's now performing as a adult with the QLD ballet.

So there is a lot to be said for the benefits of dance.

Lethaldog said:
My wife can fall over just standing in the kitchen and she's 36 [emoji23][emoji23]
Yep, mine too.

Some would have seen me ranting a month or so ago about my (just turned) 3yo boy refusing to poo on the toilet. Well a few weeks ago he saddled up and dropped a deuce on the porcelain and hasn't looked back, happy days.

But that's not the part I'm proud of, the best bit was the very first time he sat up there, he looks around and says to his mother "mummy, I'll need a book, just like daddy." Has to have a book every time. The missus is disgusted, but I reckon it's awesome. :D

For me it was seeing my 7 year old boy grade up in karate.
I was ok at the orange and green but the receiving of his first belt, yellow was a tear jerker. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470202020.654520.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Not arguing there Stu. Well done to your boys. Great to be proud.

My daughter is heavily into dance and school choir. She can hold a note pretty well. I'm really hoping to pass on the love of guitar to her, but I'm not gonna ram it down her throat.
My son is into soccer. Playing for 3 years now (Just finished under 8s) and they've only lost a handful of games in those years. It's almost boring to see them win so much now, but this year it's really been great watching them develop and work together as a team. Great mates having fun together.

I was never a strong swimmer, although I can tread water to save my life.
My 9 year old daughter is an axe in the pool and continually shaves tens of seconds off her PB's weekly.
My 5 year old son is a great at dribbling (not like dad haha!) but basket ball and soccer. I have so much love for my kidlets, they just keep amazing me daily.

my youngest daughter (28) has just be accepted into uni to do a 4 year forsenic course..wife and myself very proud

my fristborn daiughter is 18 months and somehow has started saying bitch all the time

couldnt be prouder

My Youngest son of 8 months old finally learned to sit by himself recently.
Also, he has learned to hold his own against toddlers. He pushed a little 18 month old Toddler out of the way to get to her Crackers haha.

I'm sorry. I cant help what makes me laugh.
When I found this critical commentary in one of the young blokes readers, I couldn't have kept a straight face if I slammed my thumb with a hammer.
(of course the boy was duly chastised...)

20170725_192355_zps1hsacxry.jpg

My 3y/o son finally went down some ramps at the skate park on his balance bike!

Latest posts

Back