Substitute For Vorlauf

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonharley

Reaction score
Greetings

Much has been said about the technique of vorlauf filtration through the grainhusk bed. I find the process of vorlauf to be cumbersome as I do not have a pump or a setup that lends itself to vorlauf techniques. The removal of smaller grain particles would be beneficial to avoid extracting tannins during the boil. However, are there any substitutes to the vorlauf technique to removal grain particles before boiling? Anyone got any gadgets or ideas for filtering?

5 eyes

Tannin extraction, AFAIK, is a pH related issue and you can boil the crap out of grain remnants with no problems, or so .....

<modesty>

... a wall of comp prize certificates using BIAB with more cloudy runnings into the pot would attest to

</modesty>

:D

Edit: decoction mashers boil the shyte out of their grains, fragments or not and of course it's the pH that protects them.

Greetings

Much has been said about the technique of vorlauf filtration through the grainhusk bed. I find the process of vorlauf to be cumbersome as I do not have a pump or a setup that lends itself to vorlauf techniques. The removal of smaller grain particles would be beneficial to avoid extracting tannins during the boil. However, are there any substitutes to the vorlauf technique to removal grain particles before boiling? Anyone got any gadgets or ideas for filtering?

5 eyes

The answer is so simple.
The tannins of which you speak are in the husks, rather than the tannins from hops.
Unless your grain has been pulverised, in which case you are either using some sort of pneumatic mash filtration system which requires this, or you have been grossly mislead, then virtually no grain husks should make their way through, vorlaufing fine but not compulsory. If your first runnings are murky, pour them back, your next will be clearer.

K

When I vorlauft, I just run it out of the mash tun into a 5 litre jug (smaller will work) and back into the lauter tun, onto aluminium foil (which runs off into the grain bed indirectly). I continue to do this until I see it run clear (usually 2-3 liters), then run into boil kettle. So about 1 minute or less. I feel a LOT better about only boiling clear wort.

Hey 5 eyes, my last two brews have been batch sparged, I noticed that the faster the run off into the boiler the more draff that ran with it. I put a hopsock on the end of the hose to try and keep it out of the kettle. Why don't you try something similar?

Hey 5 eyes, my last two brews have been batch sparged, I noticed that the faster the run off into the boiler the more draff that ran with it. I put a hopsock on the end of the hose to try and keep it out of the kettle. Why don't you try something similar?

Yeah ..... i'll try that next time. sick of too much hot break
cheers 5 eyes

When I vorlauft, I just run it out of the mash tun into a 5 litre jug (smaller will work) and back into the lauter tun, onto aluminium foil (which runs off into the grain bed indirectly). I continue to do this until I see it run clear (usually 2-3 liters), then run into boil kettle. So about 1 minute or less. I feel a LOT better about only boiling clear wort.

Pretty much what I used to do before turning my attention to the Herms & re-circulating via the beerbelly liquor return dish. Never once had an issue with the odd grain raminents in the boil kettle. I admit I probably over emphasised the cleanliness of the wort pre-boil but never had any problems with tannins etc.

If you use a good floccer, hot break should not be a problem as long as you let the wort sit for fifteen mins or so before running off.

Genuine BribieG recycled photo ;)

First glass off the kettle just to clear the tap's throat.
Second glass is just for illustration, normally I wouldn't do that
All the runnings after that are crystal clear.

runoff_wort_1__Medium_.jpg

are there any substitutes to the vorlauf technique to removal grain particles before boiling? Anyone got any gadgets or ideas for filtering?
You could try filtering on the way to the kettle. Perhaps a heap of rice (h||g)ulls between two false bottoms?

Personally I don't worry too much. I vorlauf 4 or 5 single liter jugs and get rid of the larger particles. After that the grainbed should be fairly good at filtering. I've never really noticed any detrimental affects due to the small amount of debris that makes it to the kettle.

The tannins of which you speak are in the husks, rather than the tannins from hops.
Did I miss something? When did anyone mention hops?

Yeah ..... i'll try that next time. sick of too much hot break
The hot-break is coagulated protein, not so much from the debris from the lack of vorlauf. Either way you're stuck with it.

Let us know if you find an easier way. As it stands with the price of pumps I reckon I'll make my brewday slightly simpler soon and automatically recirculate.

Greetings

5 eyes

Cumbersome vorlauf techniques :lol: . Extractions of tannins from a few grams of grain husk :lol: Removal ideas? Razz had a sensible suggestion, I do think you ARE taking the piss.

Have I seen that picture somewhere before :wacko:
Of course you have, that's why I flag it as genuine BribieG recycled photo. As you would know the same questions come up again and again so I have a stock of photos to cover all eventualities - such as the one my stepdaughter took of me yesterday

romania_05.jpg

As you can see the runnings are crystal clear

Back on topic, wort clarity INTO the kettle is not really an issue AFAIK, the Weihenstephan brewery did an exercise and considered that ultra clear worts actually had a deficit in yeast nutrients etc.

Are you taking the piss?

Nah ....i don't piss.... but I was thinking about stuffing a large brewbag at the bottom of the mash tun and using that as a filter medium but don't know anyone who has tried that.

Of course you have, that's why I flag it as genuine BribieG recycled photo. As you would know the same questions come up again and again so I have a stock of photos to cover all eventualities - such as the one my stepdaughter took of me yesterday

View attachment 44133

As you can see the runnings are crystal clear

Back on topic, wort clarity INTO the kettle is not really an issue AFAIK, the Weihenstephan brewery did an exercise and considered that ultra clear worts actually had a deficit in yeast nutrients etc.
is that fatz????

Nah ....i don't piss.... but I was thinking about stuffing a large brewbag at the bottom of the mash tun and using that as a filter medium but don't know anyone who has tried that.

Thought of trying it only because when I drilled my FB out the holes were a bit big, its in my gallery somewhere. I really couldnt use the baggie thing because I bolt my FB to the bottom of the MT. So instead I got one of those crappy teaballs and used half of it and sewed it on to the bottom of my FB under the p/up. Still had a few slow/stuck sparges when using heaps of wheat or chocs/roasts etc, so implemented one of those fat drainers the wok shops use, it cost me $2 and I just slip it on top of the FB. SuBsequently a three level FB, works a treat, cost me about $10 to build and regulally do 50% wheats no probs.
Your thinking has merit though.

edit, one of these days, i will use the quote button when replying :p
edit2, i maybe brewing 2morrow, I`ll take a few snappies

Thought of trying it only because when I drilled my FB out the holes were a bit big, its in my gallery somewhere. I really couldnt use the baggie thing because I bolt my FB to the bottom of the MT. So instead I got one of those crappy teaballs and used half of it and sewed it on to the bottom of my FB under the p/up. Still had a few slow/stuck sparges when using heaps of wheat or chocs/roasts etc, so implemented one of those fat drainers the wok shops use, it cost me $2 and I just slip it on top of the FB. SuBsequently a three level FB, works a treat, cost me about $10 to build and regulally do 50% wheats no probs.
Your thinking has merit though.

edit, one of these days, i will use the quote button when replying :p
edit2, i maybe brewing 2morrow, I`ll take a few snappies

Yeah some photos would be great ... if it only cost a couple of bucks then that beat spending big bucks on all sort of stainless stuff

5 eyes

Greetings

5 eyes

What is your mashing and sparging process? I'm not sure what's so cumbersome about running a couple litres into a jug until you're happy with the clarity. How much grain particulate is making it's way into your kettle?

Latest posts

Back