Stockpile Cleanout Recipe Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Q

Reaction score
Rightio, I was rummaging through my cupboards and freezer this afternoon and have come to the conclusion that I may have too many odd leftover grains and hops from previous brews. The stock is as follows

Roast barley 900gm
Carapils 400gm
Carafa III 900gm
Carared 300gm
Choc 800gm
Crystal 450gm

Willamette 4.6%AA 40gm
Nelson Sauvin 10gm
Cascade 7.8%AA 65gm
Newport 11%AA 40gm
Saphire 4.5%AA 60gm
Green Bullet 13%AA 15gm
First Gold 7.9%AA 20gm
Spalt 4%AA 30gm
Northern Brewer 9.6%AA 17gm
Fuggles 4.2%AA 28gm
Progress 6.3%AA 80gm
Pallisade 7.3%AA 35gm
Hallertau Mitt 4.6%AA 45gm
Hallertau Hers 2.3%AA 45gm
EKG 4.8%AA 20gm
Warrior 16.4%AA 50gm
POR 8.3%AA 90gm
B Saaz 8%AA 50gm (flowers)

Yeast I currently have in stock are US-05, nottingham, 1056, 2112 & 1338.

My aim is to deplete this stockpile by making a few batches of AG without having to buy anymore hops or grain (base malts excluded)

Can anyone recommend any recipes that might be good for this?

Mate try a Kiwi Gold - my most successful 'golden' beers to date, I'm experimenting around with them at the moment but generally:

Base malt - Aussie Ale BB or JW
Carared
Maize
Sugaz if you like

2 or 3 NZ hops with BSaaz to finish off

US 05

I'd use your 300 Carared, 500 of Maize in the form of Polenta, put the Green Bullet into bittering with 10g of Newport, 90 mins then 20g of the BSaaz in the last 10 or 15 mins.

If you like APAs this one should hit the spot but with a Kiwi twist. :icon_cheers:

Edit: In the above I just swapped Newport for Cascade, why waste the Cascade for bittering.

How about an APA? Base malt, carared. Warrior to bitter, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade and B Saaz for flavour and aroma.

A bitter with the crystal, EKG and First Gold for flavour/aroma.

A stout bittered with POR or Newport.

An Australian Pale with the POR.

Use it all. Imperial Hopbusrt Stout :super:

interesting, so by the looks of it i may be able to do an APA & a bitter from what i'v got on hand (excluding the base malt of course)

BribieG, whats the purpose of the maize? is it just like adding rice to a beer?

Those that know me know I can't resist the urge to scream.....

HOPBURST.

Use the carared and the crystal, plan to use the others in future recipes....I'm intrigued as to how that would work out to be honest. I feel it would be at one end of epic fail/win scale......

Hmmm, I had a similar situation when I made this stout which I don't mind and also got a pretty good wrap from the reviewing panel earlier today, so you could do something similar with what you've got in stock.

Mine's perhaps not that different from an IHS though (as per Gulpa above)! :lol:

Edit: Spelling...

Rightio, I have come up with the below in order to use up some stock, looks like I will still have enough hops for another brew though

Balding Sultan (APA)
Pilsner 4kg
Wheat malt 0.5kg
Munich 0.5kg
Carared 0.3kg
15gm Newport @ 60
20gm Cascade @ 15
10gm Nelson Sauvin @ 0
15gm B Saaz flowers @ 0
10gm Cascade @ 0
15gm Cascade dryhopped @ 4 days
Wyeast 1056