Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourlambs

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster.....

The last two kits i have brewed have had an issue where the SG won't get down to 1000... the recent one is Coopers Canadian Blonde [with Brew Enhancer 1 used] and has only come down to 1022 from 1045 a week ago.

Its been a warmish is week [Melbourne] so should be warm enough. Just wondering if this is common when using dextrin, as i've never seen this issue using sugar i don;t believe.

All help appreciated.....

Regards Phil

for starters a reading of 1.000 is water!!! you do not want this..

a bit more of your recipe would help... Yeast? extra additions? temps? Do you have temp control?

Leave it 2 weeks before you start to stress, yeast will often slow down toward the end and this is normal

[edit] any reason this was posted 3 times? Perhaps you can contact the mods and get the extra ones removed?

and welcome to the forums, there is a "search" function up in the top right corner that is a good tool to use, search for thing like "stuck ferment" etc and happy reading

1.JPG

Yob

For example, for a typical strength beer, OG could be 1.050 and FG could be 1.010..not 1.000..if you measure you SG again and it's the same as last reading ,you can bottle /keg your brew..
BE1 contains 60% Dextrose and 40% Matodextrin. Expect a recipe; 1.7kg beer kit and 1kg of BE1, made to 23 litres to finish around the 1012 to 1016 mark.

yeah, what yob said.

you definitely don't want your beer to get to 1.000

A typical kit recipe starting on 1.045(ish) and made up to can directions will typically finish around 1.006-1.010 or thereabouts.

Give us your recipe and we can help more.

That yeast sachet in the lid of the tin is your culprit. It stalled on me forever when I used it (once). Later I got to know that it's very insufficient for the brew. Ditch them for further brews and get US05 or another name brand 11g sachet of yeast from a brew shop. Costs extra to the tin, but works a lot better.

For example, for a typical strength beer, OG could be 1.050 and FG could be 1.010..not 1.000..if you measure you SG again and it's the same as last reading ,you can bottle /keg your brew..

A little bit "loose" for this particular situation.

Yes once your gravity readings stabilise, (usually over a period of a few days in a row) it's good to go, but your only halfway through your expected fermentation finish point. If you bottle to this advice above, you'll blow bottles.

Some beers (really big ones) can finish that high and be safe, but your doing a bog standard kit recipe that WILL NOT be done at that gravity yet. Give it some more time.

As to above post No6.. Can packet's are only about 7gm's..Us05 and other better brand's are 11gm's..

Also try joining a Brew Club they help

He did give you his recipe..Its a can of blonde and BE1

did he tell us what yeast he's using?

did he tell us what temp he's using it at? "warmish" could mean anything.

To me, "warmish" with say, us05 would be 20-22. "Warmish" with 34/70 could be 12-14. "Warmish" with coopers yeast could mean anything up to 28-30 if you believe the can instructions....

Chill out BN, he said with ambient temps in Melbourne this week, it's been a pleasant week there. I know,... Bastards keep posting pics of themselves on the beach while we're stuck indoors up here.

Chill out BN, he said with ambient temps in Melbourne this week, it's been a pleasant week there. I know,... Bastards keep posting pics of themselves on the beach while we're stuck indoors up here.

it has been a typical spring week in melbourne the temps have varied from low single figures overnight to 30 degree days so "ambient" could mean almost anything.

it has been a typical spring week in melbourne the temps have varied from low single figures overnight to 30 degree days so "ambient" could mean almost anything.

yeah that's what i was thinking. i live at a very similar latitude to Melbourne and temps here fluctuate a lot too.

Besides, temps outside his house don't tell me what his ferment temp is. I know i for one, don't have my fermenter sitting outside on my patio...

For all we know, he could be one of those people who love living in a really cool house with the air conditioner on full time.

I'd rather know his fermenting temp than a weather forecast.

Not trying to start a shit fight, or be too serious.....Genuine questions i've posed that i think are warranted. We all read truckloads of threads of new members who are having trouble with gravity readings, and temperature queries are always valid points to consider.

Latest posts

Back