Serving Pressure - Rocking Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
I briefly tried force carbonation - had limited success - ended up with foaming issues.

I reverted to slow carb - all good - but the time it takes ...??

I was wanting to try connecting gas - apply pressure at required CO2 for CO2 volume - then rock the keg to aid in the carbonation process.

Nice idea - but has anyone tried this - and how long would it take to get decent carbonation?

i usually carb at serving pressure but rock whnever I'm near the keg for a few minutes.. certainly speeds it up.

Wouldnt know how long it would take to do at once though...

Yep, that's how I used to do it usastman. Nothing wrong with doing it that way, just takes a bit longer than some other forced carb methods. Depending on you beer temp and gas pressure it may take about 10-15 minutes of rocking. Unless you chill the beer right down to about 1-2 degrees then you may find that you won't get enough gas into it. These days I use the Ross method and make sure the beer is chilled to storage temp first. (That's the temp my keg freezer runs at)

I could easily spend 15-20 mins rocking - with beer in hand of course.

I just think I will have less issues with carbonation - if I stick to the serving pressure carbonation.

Cheers....

I now use the 'Ross' method as well. Its on a post here somewhere with how to do it. Crank up the gas and rock for 1 minute. Its not very accurate but speeds things up. Oh yeah, the beer has to be at serving temp.

You shouldn't have any foaming issues with Ross' method. Pretty much he recommends rocking the keg for 50 seconds @ 300kpa. Turn off gas. Keep rocking until the regulator reads about 140kpa. Bleed off the gas 10 mins later. Then set to serving pressure. The beer will be pretty much carbed up perfectly within 24 hours. No foaming issues at all

Latest posts

Back