Score

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
A full size post-mix keg and his little 5 litre brother. :party:
I love cleanups :super:

22_09_06_1619.jpg

22_09_06_1618.jpg

What a score!!! :super: what kind of workplace has that sort of stuff lying around in the basement?

What a score!!! :super: what kind of workplace has that sort of stuff lying around in the basement?

It's a lab. We used to use them as vessels for liquids that need to be fed to instruments under pressure.
Now surplus to requirements.

You bloody little Anzac, you beauty! :beerbang:

I'd be removing those vessel to the safety of your car asap, then home right away. I'm sure it would be an OH&S issue to leave them at work because those are too heavy to lift (lifting injury), they are a trip hazard and could quite possibly be filled with dangerous chemicals so it's your duty and obligation to doing the right thing by removing them from the workplace.

Nice one anyway.

By the way, what's in them? I have seen those small kegs in science labs as yeast and bacterial growth reactors, and also in filtering apparatus. Do you work in a lab? Don't want to be the downer here but they just "may" have had nasties in them. New seals, plenty of caustic and you should be right though. ??

Edit: You answered the lab question while I was writing my post. Might want to make sure of exactly what was in them. I'd have to be cautious, we use some pretty nasty stuff.

Very top score.
Esp on the 5 litre one.

Doc

Any ideas on how would be the most effective way to remove any possible nasties from a SS vessel? I'm not saying that it did or didn't have nasties but given the properties of SS (ie. non porous etc) you should really be able to get anything out of it wouldn't you think? And a change of rubber bitzies.

Yep, the 5L one's is a ripper.

If they are coming from a lab, may a dose of caustic, and then a run through an autoclave. I'd remove all the replacables first (poppets, o-rings etc).

Doc

As this is a 'score' thread, I scored these badboys the other day.
Now all I have to do is hook up to my platechiller and away we go.chillers.JPG

A few nice scores indeed. That 5 litre job is sensational and I want one! :super:

There was an article in BYO mag a few issues back about a guy who hooked up his corny keg to a water bubbler in his shed :p

Doc

There was an article in BYO mag a few issues back about a guy who hooked up his corny keg to a water bubbler in his shed :p

Doc

I saw that one too. If anything is guaranteed to be the centre of attention at a party, it's a water cooler delivering beer. Nice score!

If they are coming from a lab, may a dose of caustic, and then a run through an autoclave. I'd remove all the replacables first (poppets, o-rings etc).

Doc

Definitely will go the caustic & maybe autoclave them too. As far as I can tell they have just had buffers & diluents in them so shouldn't be a problem.

And I know you shouldn't laugh about things like this but I took the little keg home on the train Friday night - didn't even think, just got on with it in my hand. Should have seen the look on one bloke's face - I honestly thought he was gonna fill his pants. He got off at the next stop. It's a sad comment on the world we live in really. <_<

I think the sad part is that people would rather buy into the media/gov fear mongering rather than learn to think for themselves.

Best make up a "this is not a bomb" sticker for next time you take it on the train. ;)

Latest posts

Back