S-23 Temp Control Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Q

Reaction score
At the moment I have a fermenter of Docs Schwarzbier fermenting away using s-23. It has been in the fermenter for the last 2 weeks and has still got a rather thick krausen on it. The fermenter is in my ghetto cooler setup (2 bunning collapsible can coolers) with ice bottles being replaced every morning. This is keeping it at a constant 10C. Now it seems like I have to dash to Sydney for an emergency bucks party this weekend.

My Question is will leaving it for 2 days without switching the ice bottles out negatively affect the brew? This is pretty much my first foray into lager yeasts.

Ditto with my Wyeast Urquell that's coming up to week 2 and still a layer of foam on 10 degrees. I read on another forum that the Czech brewers traditionally would give a day of primary fermentation for every degree Plato, and IIRC Czech Pilseners are 12 degrees Plato so hopefully your brew is tapering off nicely. What temps would you have in your brewhouse at the moment there in Melbourne? I would guess that if you pack it well with PETs then leave if for a couple of days and the brew warms up to maybe 14 or 15 over your absence, it could serve as the diacetyl rest, then CC it afterwards assuming that it has finished primary by then?

Quick edit: in my kits n partials days I used s-23 at 'winter room-temperatures' but not lagering temperatures and it produced quite drinkable beers.

temp of the house probably sits at 14 most of the time at the moment

After 2 weeks of fermentation if the temp rises slightly for a couple of days you could probably call it a diacytal rest, there should not be any detrimental effect

Latest posts

Back