Recipedb - Coopers Pale Ale Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpy im thinking of making this next what recipe did you use?
does it include the sugar?

cheers Frenzel

Frenzel,

The recipe was given to me but looks same as Andrew Qld .

Yes I did use the 'Raw sugar' ( its a pale brown colour less refined than the white ) its $1.65 for @kg at WW or Coles . I rarely use sugar these days but it worked great in this recipe .seriously thinking of incorporating a bit of sugar in other recipes .

I am presently evaluating a few different yeasts .

it is so easy to make and excellent value too .

This beer is a great 'House beer '

OBM AUssie beer

Batch Size: 40.00 L

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 kg Weyermann Pilsner (3.9 EBC) Grain 82.06 %
0.35 kg JWM Wheat Malt (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.08 %
0.05 kg JWM Dark Crystal (220.6 EBC) Grain 0.61 %
50.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.1 IBU
1.13 kg Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 EBC) Sugar 13.25 %
1 Pkgs Safale US Ale (DCL Yeast #US-56) Yeast-Ale

NB. I used the Whitelabs British Ale yeast it akway seems to get the gravity down to 1.005 , I love it :)

but I have other batches with the US05 & Coopers yeast underway

Does anyone have a commercial CPAon hand?
Is the FG still at ~1.003?
If they don't use sugar then maybe they use a 'natural' enzyme to get the FG down that low.

tdh

Does anyone have a commercial CPAon hand?
Is the FG still at ~1.003?
If they don't use sugar then maybe they use a 'natural' enzyme to get the FG down that low.

tdh

Yes, that is a wicked FG for an 'all-grain' beer...even with a super-low mash temp it would be quite an achievement to get it that dry.

Maybe 'all-grain' includes grains of sugar...

Tried the whiteboard recipe about a month ago,couldn't get por flowers so subbed super pride.Mashed @ 65c come pretty close.Recultured from cpa stubbies brewed at 18c,thought it a touch more floral,less bread but even throughout.

Will sure brew again,but with por flowers.

Guys. Seriously. Dudes. Have a read of braufraus correspondence with coopers in regards to sugar, as per the links in the first post. Thats one smart lady there. Whilst all the blokes here are quibling about whats in it or not in it, what does she do? F'n asks the brewer.Simple.

Invert is the keyword.Invert. One word, so much difference. Invert. say it with me. Invert. A mixture of 2 medium chain monosachirides as opposed to a single unbroken long chain disacharide that causes the yeast to produce the enzyme fucto-wotsit (larger name, but am half cut. See my prior rants on the evils of sucrose.). If I want cider, I'll buy some scrumpy jacks. If I want beer, I will not use sugars other than monosachyrides.

Guys. Seriously. Dudes. Have a read of braufraus correspondence with coopers in regards to sugar, as per the links in the first post. Thats one smart lady there. Whilst all the blokes here are quibling about whats in it or not in it, what does she do? F'n asks the brewer.Simple.

Invert is the keyword.Invert. One word, so much difference. Invert. say it with me. Invert. A mixture of 2 medium chain monosachirides as opposed to a single unbroken long chain disacharide that causes the yeast to produce the enzyme fucto-wotsit (larger name, but am half cut. See my prior rants on the evils of sucrose.). If I want cider, I'll buy some scrumpy jacks. If I want beer, I will not use sugars other than monosachyrides.

I doubt using plain old sugar for priming in place of liquid invert sucrose would make any difference as you claim Butters. Probably the only reason they use the liquid at Coopers is for undustrial convenience.

Maybe, maybe not make a difference to taste in the prime.....but some are using it (non invert) at a rate of 18%. Thats more what I was getting at.

As ive not added sugar to an AG before,for this recipe, when does the sugar go into the boil? Thanx

Hi sama,I added it late,last 15 minutes of boil.If that helps.

Og was 1.048 Fg was 1.008.Yeast recultured from pale ale stubbies.Brewed @ 18 c.I have slants for future use.Will brew it again,but not an overpowering favourite beer.Commercially or craft brewed.

Cheers

I've just brewed this recipe as my second all-grain:

Code:
Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 22.00 L	  

Boil Size: 29.79 L

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 9.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 27.3 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount		Item									  Type		 % or IBU	  

3.50 kg	   Premium Pilsner (Weyermann) (2.5 EBC)	 Grain		66.67 %	   

0.70 kg	   Joe White Export Pilsner (3.2 EBC)		Grain		13.33 %	   

0.20 kg	   Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (4.2 EBC)	Grain		3.81 %		

0.10 kg	   Carafoam (Carapils) (5.0 EBC)			 Grain		1.90 %		

0.05 kg	   Crystal Malt Medium (Bairds) (145.0 EBC)  Grain		0.95 %		

0.05 kg	   Crystal Malt Pale (118.2 EBC)			 Grain		0.95 %		

15.00 gm	  Galena (CB 06) [12.70 %]  (60 min)		Hops		 22.6 IBU	  

8.00 gm	   Pride of Ringwood (CB 07) [8.80 %]Hops		 3.0 IBU	   

8.00 gm	   Pride of Ringwood (CB 07) [8.80 %]Hops		 1.7 IBU	   

0.50 tsp	  KoppaFloc (Boil 10.0 min)				 Misc					   

1.00 tbsp	 PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)		 Misc					   

1.00 tsp	  Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)			Misc					   

0.65 kg	   Raw sugar (3.0 EBC)					   Sugar		12.38 %	   

1 Pkgs		Coopers Pale Ale bottle yeast (Coopers) [SYeast-Ale				  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Total Grain Weight: 4.60 kg

----------------------------

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

Step Time	 Name			   Description						 Step Temp	 

60 min		Mash In			Add 18.40 L of water at 71.3 C	  65.0 C

I followed someones suggestion to use a neutral bittering hop rather than POR pellets for the bittering.

The end result is very drinkable, but there are things i'd like to improve for the next version:

• The alcohol tastes a bit 'hot'. I'm going to put this down to the raw sugar creating fusel alcohol. I'll use less (or none) next time around. It was fermented in a brew fridge at 18C, so I don't think temperature is the issue here.
  • The bitterness could be upped a bit
  • Use POR flowers next time (on order from BeerBelly)

I have made 80 litres of this beer and I cant get enough of it ,really is a great beer @ 22 cent a middie !!

Pride of Ringwood flowers ;)

20 litres using the British Ale yeast
20 litres using the US 05 yeast
20 litres using the Coopers yeast
20 litres not fermented yet

why bother making anything else !!

Oh it is for an upcoming party .

Pumpy :)

The British ale yeast does it for me. One in the fermenter and one drinking.

I'd love to try this brewed with a different yeast, but I doubt i'll do it myself because personally I think the Coopers yeast is critical to the style.

Anyone wanna do a bottle swap when i've got my recipe nailed?

Also, looking back at the recipe, and my under-estimated efficiency, this has ended up at around 6% alcohol (OG 55, FG 9), which is almost 50% more than it should be for style. That could account for the alcohol flavour as well :)

Sam

I'd love to try this brewed with a different yeast, but I doubt i'll do it myself because personally I think the Coopers yeast is critical to the style.

Anyone wanna do a bottle swap when i've got my recipe nailed?

Also, looking back at the recipe, and my under-estimated efficiency, this has ended up at around 6% alcohol (OG 55, FG 9), which is almost 50% more than it should be for style. That could account for the alcohol flavour as well :)

Sam

Hi Sammy,

I used a 1056 when the coopers starter turned a tad funky and it was a very ordinary beer.
Like a lot of beers and styles - you must use the correct yeast to achieve the correct result.

Cheers

Hi Sammy,

I used a 1056 when the coopers starter turned a tad funky and it was a very ordinary beer.
Like a lot of beers and styles - you must use the correct yeast to achieve the correct result.

Cheers

I agree with Dicko, I have made this brew several times with White labs dry english ale yeast and while the beer was very clean and good to knock back fast on a thirsty day it lacked the esters and bready flavours the original yeast imparts. If you want to brew a beer close to the original CPA don't use a different yeast, you'll be disappointed.

Andrew

Hi All

Can someone help me with this recipe, i want to do it as my first AG but am unsure about water quantities, how much water will i need for mashing and sparging, what will the boil volume be?

Cheers

Hi All

Can someone help me with this recipe, i want to do it as my first AG but am unsure about water quantities, how much water will i need for mashing and sparging, what will the boil volume be?

Cheers

Water quantities can vary dependant on your equipement.
If you have BeerSmith I can email you my brewsheet, if not I will convert to PDF and email you that. Pm me your email address and what file you want, that will give you a good idea of what quantities to work from.

Cheers
Andrew

i really think that the secret to a really good coopers pale is to use the recultered yeast, andrew qld also has this opinion on making a style of beer you really need to use the correct yeast,i usually make all my coopers pales with the coopers yeast but the last one i tried us05 yeast and while it is a nice beer it doesnt have that floral aroma/taste that the recultured yeast seems to have, you also have to keep the temp right down to no more than 18 deg, i let one of my brews get away up to 20 deg for a couple of days and while still nice lacked the flavor of the coopers that i was after.
cheers
fergi

Maybe, maybe not make a difference to taste in the prime.....but some are using it (non invert) at a rate of 18%. Thats more what I was getting at.
Since Wikipedia suggests that invert sugar is easily made by boiling sugar (with a small amount of acids or enzymes), could one not argue adding the non-invert sugar to the boil 15-20 mins (as most here have suggested) actually results in the creation of invert sugar which is then what goes into the fermenter?

Apologies in advance if this is hijacking the thread :unsure: but I'm going to try a Cooper's Sparkling Ale clone in the next day or so (have the yeast starter bubbling away at the mo, cultured from a fresh bottle of CSA) and wanted some opinions on it. Unfortunately, I don't have POR flowers, just fresh Super Pride pellets and some old POR pellets that I will use as a mash or FW hop.

Recipe: Dumaresq Sparkling Ale
Brewer: Neil Asst Brewer: Style: American Pale Ale
Recipe Specifications --------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L Boil Size: 28.90 L
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 11.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 39.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Ingredients: ------------ Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 87.91 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 4.40 %