Quick Question: How To Use Hop 'teabags'?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukemarsh

Reaction score
Just bought me a teabag of Fuggles hops for my English Bitter... My only experience with teabag hops was my first ever brew where I used Hallertau hops in a Grolsch style lager. As this was my first brew, it turned out pretty average. I followed the instructions that said to boil the hops and chuck the water and hop bag in the fermenter. I was a bit wary of this, as it seemed to me even then that to leave the whole teabag of hops in the fermenting brew was a bit odd.

To my knowledge hops are meant to be boiled and then strained into the brew so it's just the boiled liquid... is this the same for teabag hops or are they actually meant to be boiled and chucked in the fermenter?

Never used teabags myself, but it kinda depends on your planned brew.

If for bitterness, then yes only use in the biol. If for aroma then use in the fermentor.

I would suspect the former, not the latter for your English Bitter.

You don't need to strain the hops, they'll settle to the bottom of the fermenter anyway. As for the tea-bag, only tea-bag hops I've seen are for aroma/flavour use, and yes, you can leave them in the bag, but I'd cut the bag open and let them roam free in the fermenter.

I used these many many years ago, just put it in a cup and make a cup of tea with it, then tip the whole lot into your fermenter with your brew.

Next time you would be better off just buying some nice fresh hop pellets.
Good luck with it, you love adding hops !

Batz

Next time you would be better off just buying some nice fresh hop pellets.

+1

12g = $3 that's $250 per kg.

It's possible to buy 1kg of hop pellets for $30...

Latest posts

Back