Pilsner Vs Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfadog

Reaction score
So I came home this afternoon and keen to get into the brewing I have accidentally used pale ale malt instead of pilsner malt in my first attempt at a hefeweizen.

I wonder if this will still come out ok, or should I change course and make a pale ale or something else? I am still only part way through the mash

grain bill was 50% wheat, 50% pale malt

As long as the wheat is there, it'll be fine. There are certainly recipes out there that mix pale with wheat.

Good luck with draining that mash tun!

Slightly off topic, i use 60:40 wheat to pils and it drains the same as any other beer.

Slightly off topic, i use 60:40 wheat to pils and it drains the same as any other beer.

As it is my first hefe i thought i would play it safe with just 50%, but may up the ratio to 60% next time if this one comes out ok

So I came home this afternoon and keen to get into the brewing I have accidentally used pale ale malt instead of pilsner malt in my first attempt at a hefeweizen.

I wonder if this will still come out ok, or should I change course and make a pale ale or something else? I am still only part way through the mash

grain bill was 50% wheat, 50% pale malt

I've made plenty of wheat beers using pale malts, I did it the first time coz I was under the impression that pilsner malt need a extra "stage" during mashing...which I still think is true. But I don't bother doing it most of the time.

I've never had a problem myself as well, my MT is a keggle with false bottom.

I've made plenty of wheat beers using pale malts, I did it the first time coz I was under the impression that pilsner malt need a extra "stage" during mashing...which I still think is true. But I don't bother doing it most of the time.

I even added the extra stage for the pale malt

cheers guys, I have gone ahead with the hefe, I even did a triple decoction mash with the pale malt, lets hope it turns out to be a fine beer. I might even get some "street cred" from the guys

Learned something today. I have always used Pale Malt in my Hefes and Wits. Fairly certain that the dry and liquid extract is made with pale (or "base malt") and wheat malts.

Alfa, you gain street cred from me! How was that wort tasting ore fermentation?

Alfa, you gain street cred from me! How was that wort tasting ore fermentation?

It came out quite nice actually, The krausen is already exploding out the top of the carboy. looks like it's off to a great start!

So I have kegged, gassed and just now am sipping on my first glass of Hefeweizen, it has turned out delicious.

Oddly enough SWMBO (who hates bananas) loves the beer, do I tell her that it is banana and cloves that she can taste?

So I have fermented, cold crashed, legged and gassed the hefeweizen and it tastes wonderful.

The thing is that it is crystal clear, whilst I am impressed at how clear that it has come out, It is a hefeweizen.....

Can it be easily made to come out cloudy?

I know that there are additives that can keep the yeast in suspension are these often used?

Or should have I not cold crashed before kegging?

How does the yeast in suspension affect the final taste, or is it just a visual thing?

I have also just kegged a dunkleweizen and it has come out a touch more cloudy... wtf?

So many questions, so little beer

p.s. i used 3068

never brewed one maybe to be true to the style they use raw wheat??? this will make it more milky in colour, I dont thrive on wheat beers but they are growing on me fast. So I see it wont be long till I brew one.

What were your infusions? I normally do a single infusion @ 66deg and it's most definitely cloudy. Have done a few decoctions and haven't really seen the advantage. Impressive to get it crystal clear though, without filtering?

More importantly, are you happy with the taste?

OK, so maybe I should have used the raw wheat, that may have been an issue.

Wit it was a triple decoction at 55, 65 and 76 deg, There was absolutely nothing wrong with the taste, maybe lacking in the clove department but the banana was there.

Definantly going to try this one again, like the dunkle, it is an easy drinking summer beer

Latest posts

Back