Pepperjack Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Sampled Pepperjack Ale a while ago, some will like it some won't. Wouldn't mind trying to put one down, have a 750ml bottle of LLoyd's Shiraz Grape juice.
JD had a malt list posted a while ago, so i came up with this
2.80Kg Ale malt
0.30kg Caramunich malt1
0.25kg Wheat malt
0.25kg Flaked wheat
0.20kg Carared
0.20kg Melanoiden
Saaz to23-24IBU
Amarillo 15mins 4-5IBU
Amarillo 2mins
No idea of what SRM it would end up as just going to add the full bottle.
Do you think i should simlify the malt bill
Yeast? Belgian Ale 1214

This is a nice beer and I would like to clone it when I can next brew.

I reckon that the grain bill is too complex, I would cut the wheat/s out.

The amarillo sounds nice but I got cascade(and a decent whack late) the times I have consumed it. Only relevant if you want a clone I guess. I would also drop the saaz.

Definitely not a belgian style beer so use something like S05 or other neutral yeast.

My estimations are OG= 1050, IBU= 30-35 and EBC= 25-30 to make something close.

What volume you aiming for?

This is a nice beer and I would like to clone it when I can next brew.

I reckon that the grain bill is too complex, I would cut the wheat/s out.

The amarillo sounds nice but I got cascade(and a decent whack late) the times I have consumed it. Only relevant if you want a clone I guess. I would also drop the saaz.

Definitely not a belgian style beer so use something like S05 or other neutral yeast.

My estimations are OG= 1050, IBU= 30-35 and EBC= 25-30 to make something close.

What volume you aiming for?

Will have to get another for taste purposes, on another thread was told bittered with saaz, might do 40min addition, not knowing the EBC of the Grape juice, will have to see what the final EBC is. Loking for final volune of 25-26lts, might cut the IBU back a point or two as i generally brew to about 4.5% abv.
Cheers & thanks for input
Briby
Edit Dolan and Rogers selected various grains and hops that they felt would complement the grapey presence.
Pale malted barley and malted wheat were employed, but most of the reddish colour is derived from the concentrated grape juice. Aromatic hop varieties were used including Czech saaz - for bittering - and amarillo, whose tropical fruit notes complement the lively acidity and touch of tannin provided by the shiraz.
Just found this info, might leave out the flaked wheat, anything else?

Cool then, you have some info straight from the source.

I am surprised about the saaz as bittering as I would have thought it would get lost with all the other stuff going on and is not high in AA%. I guess the spiciness would/does go well but I certainly wouldn't have picked it. I didn't pick the amarillo either. You are making me want to go get a 6er.

Good luck mate and let us know how you go.

Latest posts

Back