Partial Mash After A Long Time Out.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleman

Reaction score
Gday all. First post in a long time and i have just got back into my brewing after a long absence. I put down a simple Coopers kit ( Real Ale ) with some hops to see if the whole thing excited me again.

Guess what, it did !

So i want to revisit my partial mashing days and do a basic mini mash with a can, the can being my main ingredient, along with a mash of some nice grains and finishing hop as an adjunct to the can.

I'm looking at a simple Aussie Pale Ale style. Say a can of Coopers Pale Ale, some nice grains and hops.

Can anyone offer me up a basic idea to start. How much grains will i need to bring in an alcohol content of around 5 %. I have a mini mash tun and an esky for the process.

I see Craftbrewer have a good range of grains and hops, i'll use them i think for ingredients.

I know search is my friend, but that defeats the purpose of me posting again.

Cheers all, from a re-invigorated brewer. :D

Welcome back, I would say peruse the recipe database to get some ideas on partials. Lots to choose from!

Beers!

How big is your mashing container?

I'm going to throw in:

aussie pale tin
Cascade hops
Ale malt (grain)
very small amount crystal
LDME if need be.

Amounts will depend on how much you can mash.

How big is your mashing container?

I'm going to throw in:

aussie pale tin
Cascade hops
Ale malt (grain)
very small amount crystal
LDME if need be.

Amounts will depend on how much you can mash.

Thanks manticle, that sounds around about what i was after. 2 kg of grain do ya reckon ? My tun is one of those ones Grumpys made a while back, i think 10 litres, with a little stainless strainer in the bottom.

If you have 10 L then 2 -3 kg is probably the most you can fit. My understanding is 3 times water (L) to grain (kg).

That's about what I'm mashing at the moment. Doing an English sparge (3 times @ 30 mins each) gives me a 25-27 L boil which ends up around 23 L in the fermenter. I did this last night but my measurements towards the end may have been slightly off so consider my guide very rough. I ended up with slightly more liquid than my pots could fit so my next batch will need some recalculation (or a bigger pot). Boil size was probably 24, final volume was 22. It's bucket chemistry at best.

I'd estimate 2 - 2.5kg ale malt and 300-500g crystal. Bear in mind I'm muddling through my own processes and am basing this on my own recipes so this is far from gospel.

I ran a quick recipe through beer recipator and got this. It may work for you.

(Please don't blame me if it doesn't. My recipe also doesn't take into account the pre-bittered tin as beer recipator only recognises unhopped LME so if you don't like bitter beers, drop back a bit on the bittering hops.)

I am assuming 70% efficiency from grain mashing and a final gravity of 1010.

Partial mash
Final Vol: 22 Litres
Color: 17 HCU (~10 SRM)
Bitterness: 32 IBU

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.7% v/v (4.5% w/w)
Grain: 2kg ale malt
500g crystal 50-60L

Mash: 70% efficiency

Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.048 25 Litres

Extract:
1.5kg LME
500g LDME

Hops:
30g Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
20g Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
20g Cascade (aroma)

If you have 10 L then 2 -3 kg is probably the most you can fit. My understanding is 3 times water (L) to grain (kg).

That's about what I'm mashing at the moment. Doing an English sparge (3 times @ 30 mins each) gives me a 25-27 L boil which ends up around 23 L in the fermenter. I did this last night but my measurements towards the end may have been slightly off so consider my guide very rough. I ended up with slightly more liquid than my pots could fit so my next batch will need some recalculation (or a bigger pot). Boil size was probably 24, final volume was 22. It's bucket chemistry at best.

I'd estimate 2 - 2.5kg ale malt and 300-500g crystal. Bear in mind I'm muddling through my own processes and am basing this on my own recipes so this is far from gospel.

I ran a quick recipe through beer recipator and got this. It may work for you.

(Please don't blame me if it doesn't. My recipe also doesn't take into account the pre-bittered tin as beer recipator only recognises unhopped LME so if you don't like bitter beers, drop back a bit on the bittering hops.)

I am assuming 70% efficiency from grain mashing and a final gravity of 1010.

Partial mash
Final Vol: 22 Litres
Color: 17 HCU (~10 SRM)
Bitterness: 32 IBU

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010
Alcohol: 5.7% v/v (4.5% w/w)
Grain: 2kg ale malt
500g crystal 50-60L

Mash: 70% efficiency

Boil: 60 minutes
SG 1.048 25 Litres

Extract:
1.5kg LME
500g LDME

Hops:
30g Cascade (6% AA, 60 min.)
20g Cascade (6% AA, 30 min.)
20g Cascade (aroma)

Thanks for your efforts, that looks good. I might adjust it to take into account a hopped kit can, add hops for flavouring and aroma. You've got my juices flowing again, after a long time..........i'm itching to do this now.

Safale yeast i reckon.

Thanks for your efforts, that looks good. I might adjust it to take into account a hopped kit can, add hops for flavouring and aroma. You've got my juices flowing again, after a long time..........i'm itching to do this now.

Safale yeast i reckon.

I wondered what happened to you......... I thought you might have been mugged by "that strange bloke" in Adelaide ;)

Cheers

stagga.

I wondered what happened to you......... I thought you might have been mugged by "that strange bloke" in Adelaide ;)

Cheers

stagga.

Mmmm.. Now you got me wondering.
Who is the strange bloke in Adelaide???
So many to choose from....... :lol:

Nige

If you're after something along the lines of the Coopers Pale, I would recommend you culture some yeast from a few stubbies into a 1L starter.

Then use the pale ale can, maybe 2.5kg ale, plus 5% crystal 5% wheat, do short boil with PoR for 10IBU and ferment at 18C ... voila!

Without going into exact figures - I don't have brewing software so I'm more of a chef than a scientist when I brew, which is half the fun for me:

For a fairly commercial style of Aussie beer, and remembering that most of the breweries use a fair bit of sugar - even Coopers who use up to 10% - I have made some very nice partials avatar_beer.JPG based on:

A light tin. (Coopers Lager, Morgans Queensland Bitter, Morgans Australian Pilsener etc etc)
1.5 kg BB Galaxy or Ale malt depending
500g white sugar or dex

20g POR or BSaaz boiled for 60 mins with the wort

Either a lager yeast such as W 34/70 or an ale yeast such as US-05

In your case as you can handle 2kg malt then drop the sugar to 300g and for an Aussie Pale or Sparkling style, as previous poster has suggested culture up some Coopers yeast from the bottle, use the ale malt and you should get a very nice drop. Nothing wrong with using a fairly bland kit as a basic ingredient. With an Aussie style there's no need to add crystal malt etc as the colour should be spot on from the kit plus the base malt.

Welcome back to the obsession :icon_cheers:

Cheers

stagga.

Still here staggs.......which strange bloke ? theres a few of them :ph34r:

Without going into exact figures - I don't have brewing software so I'm more of a chef than a scientist when I brew, which is half the fun for me:

For a fairly commercial style of Aussie beer, and remembering that most of the breweries use a fair bit of sugar - even Coopers who use up to 10% - I have made some very nice partials View attachment 27435 based on:

A light tin. (Coopers Lager, Morgans Queensland Bitter, Morgans Australian Pilsener etc etc)
1.5 kg BB Galaxy or Ale malt depending
500g white sugar or dex

20g POR or BSaaz boiled for 60 mins with the wort

Either a lager yeast such as W 34/70 or an ale yeast such as US-05

In your case as you can handle 2kg malt then drop the sugar to 300g and for an Aussie Pale or Sparkling style, as previous poster has suggested culture up some Coopers yeast from the bottle, use the ale malt and you should get a very nice drop. Nothing wrong with using a fairly bland kit as a basic ingredient. With an Aussie style there's no need to add crystal malt etc as the colour should be spot on from the kit plus the base malt.

Welcome back to the obsession :icon_cheers:

Thanks BribieG, good post, very helpful. Got myself 2 kg of Joe White Ale, some Cascade hop pellets, Safale yeast and a tin of Coopers Lager to work with, see how i go.

Thanks BribieG, good post, very helpful. Got myself 2 kg of Joe White Ale, some Cascade hop pellets, Safale yeast and a tin of Coopers Lager to work with, see how i go.

All done and dusted and bottled. Tasted great from the fermenter, very fresh. Will post in about a month on taste.....if i can wait that long. :D

Latest posts

Back