NZ Fuggles substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a recipe which calls for NZ Fuggles for flavour/aroma. I'm having trouble sourcing some, tried my usual online suppliers and google but didn't come up with much. Any tips on a close substitute. Logic would tell me UK Fuggles, but from what I've read they taste very different. I read another thread on here suggesting NZ Fuggles as a substitute for Willamette. Can anyone confirm they are similar?

Cheers,

No idea if they're similar, but IMO Willamette is a really nice hop in the right beer as it has some spice notes in addition to the more traditional earth notes of UK Fuggles. To my tastes its close to Styrian goldings than UK Fuggles.

that said substitutions depend a lot on use, rate, beer style etc. If you post the recipe, you might get some better pointers

Craftbrewer have NZ Fuggles pellets, but out of the flowers.
Willy would work quite well.

Cheers for the replies BD and BG. Not able to paste the exact recipe at the moment, but basically it's a version of ANZAC Biscuit Beer from the Homebrew Calendar. It's a sweetish American Amber Ale. The recipe calls for 1g/l Challenger as bittering, then 0.5g/l each Challenger and NZ Fuggles @ 15 min, then same of each again @ 5min. I no chill so the 15 min addition will probably be flameout and the 5 min a cube addition.

I checked out Craftbrewer but could only see three listings for Fuggles on their website, NZ flowers (which are out of stock as you say BG), UK pellets and UK plugs. Couldn't see NZ pellets anywhere.

Looks like I'll go with Willamette. Wish I'd decided that sooner as I don't have a LHBS as such, but was in Orange this morning at a bottlo that stocks some basic HB stuff and they had 50g packs of Willamette. Should have grabbed some, not sure why I didn't actually, even if I didn't end up using them in this brew :angry:.

If you have UK Fuggles why not use them.

A) Don't have any B) I've read they taste very different from NZ Fuggles

Latest posts

Back