New Syle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieren

Reaction score
Hi all,

Put down a brew on Saturday because I needed to use up some malt and hops so I can get some fresher stock in. With no yeast ready or any particular style in mind, I was inspired by a "class" I saw in a US comp called 80/80 (OG 1.080, IBU 80). I thought I would do something similar using my birth year 1980 - ie 19 plato (1.079, 80 IBUs - pretty much the same). My final recipe looked something like this

Maris Otter 80%
CaraMunich 15%
CaraRed 5%

Mashed at 63C

Northdown pellets @ 60 min - 43g
Challenger pellets @ 60 min - 40g
Styrian Goldings pellets @ 20 min - 30g
Hallertau Mittlefrew whole hops @ 5 mins - 40g

Whirpooled and no-chilled.

Is sitting in a cube waiting for some yeast. Thought I would just chuck in 1 or 2 packets of dry english ale yeast.

Wondering if anyone else has tried something similar or what you think of the recipe. It may turn out to be a shocker :unsure:

KV

Looks nice Kieren.

Only thing I would comment on is effectlvely you're incorporating 20% Crystal Malts in the beer. I reckon you'd do better halving the CaraMunich. :)

Other than that it should make for a tasty drop. :beer:

Warren -

Only thing I would comment on is effectlvely you're incorporating 20% Crystal Malts in the beer. I reckon you'd do better halving the CaraMunich. :)

Yeah, I have a heap of Caramunich I'm trying to get through. That is why the mash temp is fairly low, i figure the crystal will it a bit of body any way, that's my theory??

Perhaps one to drink fairly young before it goes too caramely.

We'll see what happens.

KV

Latest posts

Back