My micro brewery dream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Felt like not liking it because of how insanely jealous I am that you are living out my dream. It was in honesty one of the most inspiring things I've read. It's one thing to buy a business built up by someone else using cash from the bank, it's another thing to sell your house and borrow time/money/materials from those close to you to do what you want to do.
I've got faith this will all play out the way you want it to. While you're sitting there with your mates in your OWN brewpub on a Friday arvo with some mates after a hot day's mashing, I'll still be finishing off paperwork ready for Monday thinking about what else I might need for my own brewpub and whether or not I have enough guts to take the leap. Maybe this thread might end up being my inspiration?

Full credit to you man, admirable stuff. And as was previously posted, full credit to the wife and kids too.

Fantastic stuff mate, I fully intend to follow your example as soon as I can so it is interesting to know your final set up costs, gives me a target to work towards!

You probably are aware of this already, but you said you are going to remove your heating element dividers so that is doesn't disrupt the wort flow. If the elements are allowed to touch each other they will overheat and burn out so they need to be supported one way or another.

All the best mate, jealous as f*%k!

Thanks for the kind words of inspiration guys! I really appreciate the support. If you're ever in my neck of the woods (Albany W.A.) please stop in for a chat and a beer on me!

So starting to mock up the tank assembly and playing with fittings, still need to fabricate the brewing stand and have it powder coated then I can bolt down for real!!

Here's the RIMS tube loosely assembled so I can figure out mounting heights etc. I love this beast, cant wait to fire off the first trail batch with it.

Cheers,

Matty.

IMAG1685.jpg
IMAG1686.jpg
IMAG1687.jpg
IMAG1688.jpg

Such a good story mate.. Well done!! I'm only up the road in Esperance, look forward to trying some of your brews someday..

Wilson Brewing Company said:
Thanks for the kind words of inspiration guys! I really appreciate the support. If you're ever in my neck of the woods (Albany W.A.) please stop in for a chat and a beer on me!

So starting to mock up the tank assembly and playing with fittings, still need to fabricate the brewing stand and have it powder coated then I can bolt down for real!!

Here's the RIMS tube loosely assembled so I can figure out mounting heights etc. I love this beast, cant wait to fire off the first trail batch with it.

Cheers,

Matty.

attachicon.gif
IMAG1685.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMAG1686.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMAG1687.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMAG1688.jpg
My folks live in Denmark, mum teaches in Albany.
When I visit them next I will drop in for sure.

If you are lucky I might even volunteer to be a brewb!tch for a day :p (It is on my short bucket list to experience a day in a brewery.)

Good work on the setup, looks the goods so far! :D

Cheers,
D80

Hi Mattywhat type of rims have you got on your small set-up, obviously you liked it )rims) enough to go rims on the big gal, so whatvisnyour advice to someone looking at maintaining mash temp through recirc?

It'd be great to see a design plan of the brewery.

I brewed 1200ltrs on Saturday (ok ok I shovelled grain) and I bottled 800ltrs into 330 ml Stubbs last Sunday with the brewer. It took 2.5 hours, something like 1800stubs? direct from the bright tank. One issue he has is that the bottling machine has to be near the bright tanks and where the drains are but the bottles on the pallets won't fit in there so there was much running back and forth. He did have these cool 24 bottle pick up plate things, but then the bottles are staggered on a pallet and the pick up plates aren't staggered nor is the steriliser tray on the bottling machine. Yeah so just putting it out there

Anyway, looks like you've got shitloads of room in there mate cheers

Ed> link for bottling machine, labeller and bright tank controller thingo

http://www.meheen.com

droid said:
Hi Mattywhat type of rims have you got on your small set-up, obviously you liked it )rims) enough to go rims on the big gal, so whatvisnyour advice to someone looking at maintaining mash temp through recirc?

It'd be great to see a design plan of the brewery.

I brewed 1200ltrs on Saturday (ok ok I shovelled grain) and I bottled 800ltrs into 330 ml Stubbs last Sunday with the brewer. It took 2.5 hours, something like 1800stubs? direct from the bright tank. One issue he has is that the bottling machine has to be near the bright tanks and where the drains are but the bottles on the pallets won't fit in there so there was much running back and forth. He did have these cool 24 bottle pick up plate things, but then the bottles are staggered on a pallet and the pick up plates aren't staggered nor is the steriliser tray on the bottling machine. Yeah so just putting it out there

Anyway, looks like you've got shitloads of room in there mate cheers

Ed> link for bottling machine, labeller and bright tank controller thingo

http://www.meheen.com
Hi Droid! Thanks for the feedback mate!

The RIMS system on my 52Litre brew rig is a 1 1/2" stainless tube with a 3600w stainless element (custom built of course!). Run from a PID. Works bloody well!! Cost around $200 to setup I suppose. My advice is definitely to use some kind of recirc system, your efficiency will increase, you can step mash easily, your beer will be super clear. Another point I found helpful was using insulation on your vessels and tubing. Helps reduce energy costs considerably and maintains temps HEAPS easier.

The brewery has kind of developed its layout as we went, in relation to what was required by council, RGLWA and BCA requirements. Things just seem to work in certain spots. I started with the vessels and everything else went from there. If you can get some kind of spreadsheet together and work out what kind of money you need to make it all falls into place after that.

Excellent work lending a hand doing some brewing!
Our brite tank holds 450Litres, same thing, fed straight to the bottling machine. I'm using fast racking for bottle movements across a sterilizer trough then onto the little bottling line. I've got heaps of room so can lay it out nice and systematically! 4 head counter pressure filler controlled by timers and manually loaded / unloaded. We are capping and boxing everything by hand to start with. Going to be long days but you gotta start somewhere!

Cheers.
Matty.

Great article , Well done to you and your wife and kids Matty.
Are you going to brew mainly Ales ? If Lagers also where were you going to cold condition them which is an added cost ?

Roosterboy said:
Great article , Well done to you and your wife and kids Matty.
Are you going to brew mainly Ales ? If Lagers also where were you going to cold condition them which is an added cost ?
Hi Roosterboy!

Yes we are starting with Ales. I am also doing an entry level 'Blonde'. Pretty much a Pilsner recipe but fermented at 15C.

I can do Lagers, I have a 4m x 4m cold crash room and a 40' refrigerated sea container for storage of cartons and kegs.
I will be doing lagers as a 'seasonal' to start with until we have enough turnover to tie up fermentors for a bit longer.

Cheers
Matty

Hi guys, so finally got our trademarks back!! WOO HOO!!!

Here's a look at the logo and bottle designs. I was aiming for classic, contemporary, utilizing our family name and linking to the maritime history of the area. Let me know what you think!

Cheers
Matty.

wbc_final1.jpg

wbc-beer-types2.jpg

Here's a look at the logo and bottle designs. I was aiming for classic, contemporary, utilizing our family name and linking to the maritime history of the area. Let me know what you think!

Cheers
Matty.

attachicon.gif
wbc_final1.jpg

attachicon.gif
wbc-beer-types2.jpg
Love the logo.

Bottle range looks great too. I like the idea of a singular looking label with changing colours.

Cheers
Matty.

attachicon.gif
wbc_final1.jpg

attachicon.gif
wbc-beer-types2.jpg
Classy and very inviting, perfect theme for your Albany location.

Back