Lyle's Golden Syrup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah - lyles has more inverted sugar than csr. Use lyles for a quick fix for belgium candy syrup!

Phillip,

Do you know any brew shops that sell belgian candy syrup? I was reading about it yesterday and it's easy to get in the US (The Northern Brewer) but i can't find any here.

Have you ever used it?

TFM

Just sub. with Lyles Golden Syrup. :lol:

staggalee.
I noted the laugh . Golden Syrup is a million miles away from Belgian Candy Syrup in colour, aroma and taste.

Regards

Graeme

I just recieved an email in response to my query to CSR.
Hi David,

Golden Syrup is a partially inverted sugar syrup, made by enzymatic
hydrolysis of a sucrose solution. It contains approximately equal
quantities of Sucrose, Glucose and Fructose.

Regards,

Ron Weibrecht | Quality Manager - Manufacturing

So there you have it. As for the flavour and colour differences? I never asked the CSR guy about it, but I would make an assumtion that it has to do with the amount of refinement of the original syrup.

I've got an old tin of Lyle's Dark Treacle sitting in the pantry. It tastes nice, very intense molasses flavour, bordering on cheapo licorice.

Anyone ever used it in a brew?

I have a Brewcraft English Bitter kit waiting to be used, maybe be a good combination with some EKG hops and Windsor yeast.

I just recieved an email in response to my query to CSR.

So there you have it. As for the flavour and colour differences? I never asked the CSR guy about it, but I would make an assumtion that it has to do with the amount of refinement of the original syrup.

Went on a tour of the Mossman Mill in FNQ about five years ago

mill.jpg

and at each stage there was a 'tasting station' where you could taste samples of the product at various stages. They basically boil the cane juice until crystals start to form then run off the liquid which is then boiled again and more crystals, and keep going in stages until all that is left is molasses and 'raw' sugar which is shipped down south for processing into white sugar. Along the way, one of the boilings produces a run off liquid that can be concentrated and turned into golden syrup. It is inverted so that no further crystals will form thus enabling it to be turned into a honey texture.

I'm pretty sure it's run off from the second boil but my memory might be failing here. Lyle get most of their sugar from European and East Anglian beet so I'm not sure what process they would use for their syrup.

I've got an old tin of Lyle's Dark Treacle sitting in the pantry. It tastes nice, very intense molasses flavour, bordering on cheapo licorice.

Anyone ever used it in a brew?

I have a Brewcraft English Bitter kit waiting to be used, maybe be a good combination with some EKG hops and Windsor yeast.

I've used the Lyle's treacle in some stouts lately, it gives an interesting flavour, but you have to watch out and not use too much.

I noted the laugh . Golden Syrup is a million miles away from Belgian Candy Syrup in colour, aroma and taste.

Regards

Graeme

i don't think it is THAT far off....and notice how I said 'quick fix' not substitute!

Latest posts

Back