Lobethal Bierhaus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayse

Black Label Society
Reaction score
Went and checked out the new lobethal brewpub on saturday for a couple hours and must say its fantastic, everything single thing is perfect. The beers on the day were heffeweizen, APA and porter and each were spot on, classic examples of the styles.

With the APA they aren't affraid to put it out there with a bitterness right up there were it should be, the aroma of american hops was sensational and hit you in the face from over the bar as soon as the tap was pulled. Plenty of wonderfull malt in there aswell and is very well balanced, much better example of a APA than that so called APA, thin watery MOO brew. To top it of it was brite as could be with a colour to die for and clean as whistle. All up a very well made beer and one of the best commercial APA i have had.

The heffe was a classic and to review it I'd say it pretty much reads like the guidelines for a gold medal beer, light soft fluffy wheat, perfect balance of bananna, vanilla and soft only slightly spicey clove. Pretty much a perfect example of such a beer, very well rounded.

The porter was awesome, lots of depth of malt character from the aroma through to the end. Had a wonderfull rich maltyness with toasted biscuit, choc and hints of raisen and some low level earthy hops underlining. Up at 6% it was a rip snorter.

The whole venue looks sensational, lots of room with the brand spanking new brite shiny brewhouse behind a big wall of glass on the right as you walk in then going around to the reasonably long bar with a long glassed door beer fridge fronted cool room in which you can see the 7 brite beer tanks behind shelves of bottled drinks. Going along further from that you see the kitchen which you can see all opened up over the resturant bar so you can see everything going on in there in plain view, everything in the kitchen is decked out in S/S with the same polished copper bands as the brewery. It looks pretty damn cool. We didn't try anything from the kitchen but noted the food looked great and the prices were all only around ten bucks with a half the menu only around $8.50, all the resturant stuff is on there website. I didn't take any pics but there a few small ones on their website, the small pics don't really do the brewery justice though.
Plenty of tables inside and a nice big log fire and out front there is a huge area aswell all decked out with big tables and umbrellas etc. At 10c when we were there we didn't take very many smoke breaks outside but can see come warmer weather......

Anyway just thought i'd post a few tidbits of what I remember and say to everyone to get yourselfs out there. The best way to get there is through hahndorf / woodside making use of the freeway. We did go via magil road and out through the winding hills on the way there but took the otherway home via grumpys and must say that way is much better. It really is a bit of a effort driving the other way when your in a hurry for a beer or two.

Thats about it i think, anyone else been?

Jayse

Yep,
I am addicted to the porter.
It's a long drive though for a couple of beers.
Wish i still had a panel van so i can drink more and have somewhere to crash.
Can't wait for their 2 litre bottles to come out.
Great guys to talk to as well. Very passionate about beer.

Yep,
I am addicted to the porter.
It's a long drive though for a couple of beers.
Wish i still had a panel van so i can drink more and have somewhere to crash.
Can't wait for their 2 litre bottles to come out.
Great guys to talk to as well. Very passionate about beer.

2 Litre bottles, now that would get my wife off my back if I could say I only had 1 bottle of beer a day
Cheers BDB

Have to agree with Jayse what a great place been up there a few time now. The beers are great with the porter being one of the best I have tasted. The real testament was that last weekend went up there with the other half (non beer drinker) and she even got stuck in to the beers and loved both the Porter and the Heffe
(looks like there the next two styles im brewing). Cant wait for there IPA to come online back up there this weekend with the Old man to knock back a few more. Would really recommend people getting up there. It's great to see that SA is getting some great micro's around the place. Lads if you need an excuse to get by the missus then next weekend the celler door just across from the brewery are having a Jewely exhibition which will be sending all the girls off to while the boy's have a few then the girls can drive home. We think it a great plan

Next time, I'm in charge of the street directory DrGonzo :p

I'd be in for a visit up there.........a co-ordinated effort maybe?

Missed the opening when is SA by a couple of weeks but got the tour, some pilots being brewed at the time. A truly beautifull brewery in any ones eyes and looked like the whole catastrophe was going to look great when finished, restaurant bar etc. You SA buggers are truly spoilt. And those 2L swing top bottles look fantastic, would buy one even if the beer was crap just to refill with HB.

Good on Alastair and Phil a fantastic effort!

I have to admit that the porter was my fave. Been there twice now and have to say that it is a cery nice place. Even saw Dr Gonzo there last time! :beer:

Would be interested in a communal visit... :chug:

Hi All,

Does anyone know who is behind this venture? Who is the master brewer there? Anyone from here?

Cheers BDB

Missed the opening when is SA by a couple of weeks but got the tour, some pilots being brewed at the time. A truly beautifull brewery in any ones eyes and looked like the whole catastrophe was going to look great when finished, restaurant bar etc. You SA buggers are truly spoilt. And those 2L swing top bottles look fantastic, would buy one even if the beer was crap just to refill with HB.

Screwtop gave be the drum a week or so ago - sounds fantastic. And then he told me about BRBs "man-shed and subterrainean man-labrynth"! Whoah!

What is it with SA and beer? You guys do it well. :beerbang:

Is because the competition with the wine industry makes it like comparing manhood in the urinal?

InCider.

Saturday the 14th July, communal visit to Lobethal?
Send the girlies all down the road to Melbas chocolate factory, or the Lobethal Market is open every saturday from 10am-4pm........plenty for them to do whilst they wait to drive us home....:)

OOh aah, it's a ripper of a brewpub. The Porter tastes like a Porter, my fave this beauty.

The brewers are the owners, Phil and Al.

Do yourself a favour and give Lobee a visit.

tdh

Next time, I'm in charge of the street directory DrGonzo

Yeah, i know. It was the scenic route. Pitty we couldn't see very far.

I'll be up for any venture out that way, especially if i don't have to drive ;)

another one for the beer tour Michael :)

cheers Ross

just to fill everyone in, DrGonzo suggests we take the more direct but scenic route to Lobethal.
Friday night in peak hour. PISSING with rain, rivers are flowing down cliffs on one side, a river over the road and flowing down a cavern on the other. 40kms top speed, still with an idiot in a WRX up your arse :blink: kinda driving.
But it was all worth it for the beers. Phil and Alistair are both really easy going and gave us a quick tour of the brewery. DrGonzo wanted to start working out stepped mashes on their equipment and where to make camp, but they distracted him with beer.

It was cold weather but I still love their wheat beer.
The pale was excellent, but even though i'm not a massive fan of dark beers, that porter is awesome. Not too much choc for a change. Freakin delicious.
I should have rang the Dragon and told her the car is broken and we had to book a couple of cheap rooms at the local pub.

Don't tease yourselves and drive there so you only have 3 small beers, get the Dragon to drive.

I'd be biased, but sounds like the impressive beer quality is partly due to impressive yeast supplied to them. But I am biased by being the supplier! ;)

Having been a party to the project for a long time it is wonderful to see Al doing so well, he just needs to send us a t-shirt as I did him a few weeks ago... ahem...

Scotty

Nice, a must for the next time I visit S.A.
The 2 liter Growlers look like the go.

From the web link:

"Try one of our Growlers - 2 liters of your favorite brew - that you can bring back for a refill!"

growlers.jpg
:chug:

Luke

Latest posts

Back