Leaving Star San in EVA lines

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadmium

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows if leaving starsan is ok in the EVA lines that come in the kegerators. I got mine from @Keg King so hopefully they see this and can let me know?

Keen for other experiences. Otherwise what do you leave in the lines between brews?

I think you can leave starsan in the lines.

I keep beer in there between kegs.

I think also what you can do is sodium perc and then rinse them out with water and leave water in the lines.

How long are you talking though?

I always flush out my lines with starsan after a keg is empty and leave it there until a new keg is hooked up. Sometimes the starsan is there for weeks. Never had a problem.

Awesome thanks guys. Yeah I've only just got back to kegging, and I'm brewing for both myself and brother in law so it's taking a while to fill the reserves, especially while drinking it at the same time! Might be a few weeks to couple months sitting. Perhaps I will flush with CO2 and leave them empty, then flush with starsan before tapping.

What! yer not gonna use bleach?
:fallingoffchair:
Joking aside, starsan goes cloudy after extended use and can develop a slimy deposit, I'm on tank water and even though boiling kills the gribblies apparently their remains and any other organic matter is what causes the cloudy/slime thing. I now use 10lt bottled water IGA/Woolies for my starsan solution.
For extended storage (a month or more) flush with clean water, soak with PBW/Percarbonate (this gets rid of any yeast deposits) flush with starsan, flush with sterile water, can then blow out with co2 or leave water in.

Ah awesome. We have very soft, non turbid water here. Still looks crystal clear.

I will flush with plain water and then run co2 through to flush the lines.

Cheers!

Keen for other experiences. Otherwise what do you leave in the lines between brews?

Nothing. Every line gets taken off the keg/disconnect and cleaned and sanitised thoroughly prior to a new keg being tapped (even if I was putting a new keg straight on the old line). Each tap would also be fully pulled apart, cleaned and re-lubricated between kegs, and a fresh liquid disconnect would also be used.

Might be overkill, but I've never had a issue with mould/infection/off flavours etc when kegging.

Latest posts

Back