Kegging Line Setup And Sanitatiion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
Guys,

After getting back into brewing - now have 3 full kegs of great beer. Have a Kegerator - initially had issues with carbonation - but thanks to help through forum - finally have beer pouring as it should.

I have 2 question:-

1. I currently have a kegerator with 2 gas lines connected to dual regulator. I was wanting to setup my system with some of the quick connectors. I have had a few issues with my dual reg when carbonating and had a few back flows to my reg - don't know if this will affect the reg and as it has had beer in it whether I can trust the guage anymore.

I have another regulator - I think it is of better quality. It has one connection point. I will be definately be installing a non return valve connector.

What I wanted to know is can I have one gas line from the reg - with some john guest connectors/spliter lines to provide gas to my three kegs. Interested in what others have set up. Wanted to get connectors and new line this weekend and so the final setup so that my system is fully operational.

2. Cleaning lines - I am assuming I will definately need a separate keg for cleaning the beer lines. What regime to brewers out there use when cleaning lines. Is it OK to leave beer in the line - for a couple of days - assuming it has got alcohol in the beer and there should be no air in the line - or is this dangerous - E.g. getting build up of crap in lines??

Any suggestion on the above very much appreciated.

Hi, personally I use one of these to split my gas inside the fridge
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=755

JG have fittings that do the same thing so yes, you can use JG fittings to split the line
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=749

Cleaning the lines in my kegerator is done every couple of brews, I just use the keg thats just emptied. Clean out the keg, fill with 3-4L mixture napisan and hot water, flush line, flush again with normal hot water a few times to clean th napisan out, then flush with no-rinse sanitiser. I started out doing it every time the keg finished but soon got jack of it, now I just do it like every 3 kegs.

I think I will get to having a proper mainifold as you have. May start with the JG splitters.

So - do you just disconnect beer line from keg when not in use and leave with beer in the line?

Thanks for the comments - very helpful.

Firstly - I would concur - highly recommend investing in a one way valve down stream from your reg. Small investment to protect your Regulator. As per your post - Linky

Manifolds are nice, but not absolutely necessary. I have 2x T Peices and 1x spiltter, giving me 4 gas out lines from a single reg.

+1 for JG fittings - they are great. Quick to change / pull apart if need be.

Get two john guest double adapters so that you have 3 gas lines in total. If you ever have only two kegs going you can remove one double adapter and not need the extra gas disconnect in there flopping about.

As for the beer line, you can leave the beer in there without an issue. Main thing is to keep the taps clean and when each keg runs out put cleaning solution in them and then use gas to push the cleaning solution through the lines, and also rinsing of course.

Firstly - I would concur - highly recommend investing in a one way valve down stream from your reg. Small investment to protect your Regulator. As per your post - Linky

Manifolds are nice, but not absolutely necessary. I have 2x T Peices and 1x spiltter, giving me 4 gas out lines from a single reg.

+1 for JG fittings - they are great. Quick to change / pull apart if need be.

usastman - you can leave the beer hooked up to the keg with beer in the line.
Raven - any chance of a photo? Im also looking for options to upgrade my 2 keg fridge to a 4 keg fridge.

Cheers
Steve

I think I will get to having a proper mainifold as you have. May start with the JG splitters.

So - do you just disconnect beer line from keg when not in use and leave with beer in the line?

Thanks for the comments - very helpful.

I use the 2 taps I have every day so no, I don't disconnect them. If for some reason they weren't going to be used for a while I would, and I'd also flush the taps because the beer left in them can get a bit sticky after a couple of days if just left there which makes it hard to pull the first beer next time you use it. I'd stick with the JG fittings if that's what you plan on getting first, like Raven said, they're much quicker to change over line or pull apart. I only got the manifold because I was unaware of the JG fittings.

Great comments.

I could of gome for manifold - but last time I popped to the brew shop the minister for finance asked if I had shares in the company now - Have been spending a fair bit getting new kegs etc. Will definately be getting a non return valve and a couple of splitters.

When I first had beer back through my reg - I filled a keg with hot water and cranked the pressure and then pulled the release valve on the reg and flushed the hot water back through the reg - hoping to clear out the reg. The dual reg I got with the kegerator seems OK - but in truth it was given as part of the package - and son't know if it a quality one. The other single reg I have - I think is a better quality one.

Steve - this is what I have mate:

One of these, Two Way Divider

Then two of these. Tee Piece

I can take a photo tonight when I get home.

As per MB's comments, I just leave any unused gas disconnects hanging there doing nothing when I have less than 4 kegs in my fridge.

Cheers!

Steve - this is what I have mate:

One of these, Two Way Divider

Then two of these. Tee Piece

I can take a photo tonight when I get home.

As per MB's comments, I just leave any unused gas disconnects hanging there doing nothing when I have less than 4 kegs in my fridge.

Cheers!

:beer:
Cheers
Steve

Anyone with a kegerator - the hole to feed the gas line is reasonable small but is it advisabel to plug and gaps with something - eg - silocon sealer - or as the gap is only small is loss of temp from fridge negligable?

I would try and plug it. Maybe see if you can get your hands on an appropriately sized rubber grommet to seal the hole, then push your gas line through it (Bunnings have these).

Cheers SJ

I would try and plug it. Maybe see if you can get your hands on an appropriately sized rubber grommet to seal the hole, then push your gas line through it (Bunnings have these).

Cheers SJ

yep, grommet and then some blue tack!

My dodgy bros setup.

JG fittings as mentioned so only 1 gas line goes through the side of the fridge.

I have since added a 4th line as i can fit a 4th keg in back left.

Kegfridge.jpg

My dodgy bros setup.
JG fittings as mentioned so only 1 gas line goes through the side of the fridge.
I have since added a 4th line as i can fit a 4th keg in back left.

Wow! So many possible points for leaks!

Anyone with a kegerator - the hole to feed the gas line is reasonable small but is it advisabel to plug and gaps with something - eg - silocon sealer - or as the gap is only small is loss of temp from fridge negligable?

The kegerator should have come with a plug type rubber thing that completely blocks the hole (so you can use it as a normal fridge), just drill a small enough hole in it so yuo can feed the line through it. I haven't bothered (yet), as my gas line is fairly thick and does a good enough job on it's own.

Great suggestion on the Kegerator plug - probelm solved.

How good are the JG connectors regarding leakage? - When youy diconnect a line from a connector - do they seal themselves or do you need to plug them?

Great suggestion on the Kegerator plug - probelm solved.

How good are the JG connectors regarding leakage? - When youy diconnect a line from a connector - do they seal themselves or do you need to plug them?

JG fittings are gas tight.

The quick disconnects seal when you disconnect them.

JG fittings are gas tight.
The quick disconnects seal when you disconnect them.

The only thing you want to be cautious is with the gas lines you use, if you get the wrong OD you might be in trouble, make sure they are easy to put in and take off. If they feel like your fingers are going to break by disconnecting them, change the line. I had terrible issues with cheap line and my 1 way valve when i 1st started. Turns out it was the line. Other option is to turn the gas bottle off when you are not using it (like i do).

Latest posts

Back