Hop Father, is it Hop Thief 6 Re Branded?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried the 8 last night, got to say I much prefer the 7, I love mosaic and they seem to have dropped it from the 8!!!

Had the Rudolph red ale also last night, 6% quite a nice drop brewed in the Melbourne CBD pub.

Does anyone give a flying **** about all this history of James Squire and brewing in Australia marketing crap? It certainly doesn't appeal to me and you wouldn't think the hipsters would be into it either.

^ what actually got my attention was the lame story and my comparison to the US with Pliny the Elder. In some hope the hop father would be something like that....which it wont. Not even close.

Coodgee said:
Does anyone give a flying **** about all this history of James Squire and brewing in Australia marketing crap? It certainly doesn't appeal to me and you wouldn't think the hipsters would be into it either.
I hate it when you read a bottle hoping to read about the beer and get a bull shit shpeel about the finest quality ingredients and other rubbish about the name,etc

nosco said:
I hate it when you read a bottle hoping to read about the beer and get a bull shit shpeel about the finest quality ingredients and other rubbish about the name,etc
me too. all we want to read is what they put into the beer and what we can expect to taste. apparently john boston was the first but no one gives a ****. lol

earle said:
Anybody tried this?
I haven't seen it on shelves yet, a mate tried it and we have been on the craft beer hop trail for years, did not rate it at all. boring, bland, mass marketed and relying on entry point palates to enjoy.

A fairly nothing beer, reminds me of the coopers celebration beer. Can tell hops are in it, but they died.

Similar to Coopers but not as good
I'm lucky being a soc my eyes [emoji102] are gone so can't read the bullshit as it's too small a print

I enjoy the HopFather as I do Hop Thief 8. Does it scream hops? No. It's an easy drinking, typical JS beer with some hops there in balance with the malt. Why would anyone expect anything different? $54/case. Tick.

Not some of the ones I tried, particularly when it first came out. Hop presence about the same as the others but less malt character (they reduced the crystal). It really depends on the treatment of the beer you are getting. I have tried all of the Hop Thiefs from 5 to 8 and each of them have had ranged from really quite hoppy and pleasant to bland and tasteless. Dont write off the 8- when fresh and treated right it is as good as the others IMO.

Latest posts

Back