Hi from newbie Mick, ex Yorkshire (UK) now Illawarra!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
Hi All - How ya going? (or as some might say in Yorkshire, now then lad) :D

My name is Mick. I'm originally from the North of England (Yorkshire) and now recently settled in Kiama NSW.

I've posted a few times before I found this introductions area and thought I'd best say hello and introduce myself!

Your forum is an amazing resource of information - having browsed and searched here I've being able to learn how to convert a fridge to a fermenting fridge and install a temperature controller.

That project undertaken and having browsed here further I'm now about to start my first attempt at an extract/speciality grains brew, having previously used Morgans Old kits with the addition of extra dark malt, either dried or liquid dark roasted.

More recently I've learnt to replace the kit yeast with another, in this case Nottingham Ale Beer Yeast.

I'm also looking into 'harvesting' the yeast from the bottom of my fermenter sometime soon-ish so I guess I'm on the road to discovery of better ales and no 'Home Brew Twang'

I love dark ales and I'm going to try a clone of the Yorkshire Dales dark ale 'Old Peculier.

Recipe below (sourced from http://www.petespintpot.co.uk/clone.html)

Malt extract - light 2500g
Crystal malt 400g
Black malt 125g
Sugar 670g
Priming sugar g/litre 3.15g (1 level 5ml tsp/litre)
Challenger (7.7% AA) 27g
Fuggles (4.5% AA) 37g (15min)
English Ale yeast - I'll go for Nottingham Ale Beer Yeast
Wish me luck with it! :super:

Join up the IBU's mate, based in the Illawarra. We have a few real ale get togethers a year, complete with engines etc. lots of us like ales!!!!!

Kiama is a beautiful part of the world, lucky you!

Welcome aboard!

Where's BribieG?

I saw "Yorkshire" and cloning Yorkshire beers, and our resident Geordie hasn't poked his head up. Is he dead? :p

If tha want a yeast that leaves more body (lower attentuation), tha may wish to try Windsor Yeast (from the same stable as Notto).

And once Bribie does find this thread, you'll have enough "British" beer recipes and the like to sink a battleship.

Hi Mick, my name is Tim - otherwise known as Fred the Big Cat (don't ask it is a long story)

I have also just joined and are located in Dapto - Great to see that there a quite a few brewers in the Illawarra. I had no idea about the IBU and I will certainly join.

I have had a life long passion for exploring the dimensions of beer beyond the traditional aussie commercial lagers and until recently I was fortunate to often work close to the best beer bottle shop in Australia - Plonk at Fyshwick Markets in the ACT (1300 different beers and not one labelled Tooheys, Carlton, XXXX, etc). By willing to try any beer, I have greatly expanded my knowledge about what beer is and can be. Now of more limited financial means but with a lot more time on my hands, I want to use my experience of different beer styles to try to create my own tasty and interesting brews. The AHB recipes and forums have been a great help in teaching me how to get started.

I have now brewed about 8 kit and kilo beers and a couple of ciders - all were drinkable thankfully but with much room for improvement.

Last week, I completed the set-up of a new to me 4 tap refrigerator and keg rig and after carbonating 3 kegs yesterday, tonight I will sample the fruits on my labours - A Coopers Sparkling Ale clone (CSA is my day to day beer), an aussie lawn-mower beer for my conservative mates, and a Sorachi Ace IPA. My good wife will have control over one tap and a few days ago I started a vanilla and cinnamon cider from a recipe I found on AHB.

I am looking to convert my old beer fridge to a fermenter fridge for my next beer which will be from a Brewmaster Hefewizen wort. If that turns out well, I might use the Brewmaster worts as a base before I move on to setting up for all grain brewing.

I don't mind the dark beers and will be interested in hearing how the Old Peculiar recipe pans out. One my favourites, is Harviestoun Old Engine Oil but it becomes a bit sickly fairly quick.

Anyway, welcome to the Illawarra, you will certainly find our winters a bit milder than the Yorkshire Dales.

Fred_the_Big_Cat said:
Hi warra48

As a Dapto based newbie, I am interested in joining the IBUs but your link only takes me to a overview site for the AHB.

Any info or assistance that you can provide to access this forum would be appreciated.
It should be a link directly to the IBU section of the forum, and displays all threads started by club members.

If it still doesn't work, click on Forums in the bar near the top of this page, scroll down to Meetups and Brewclubs, then under Brew Clubs click on The IBU Illawarra Brewers Union. Then just select the thread with their latest meetup information.

IBU forum is hidden, I've put your names in the new members thread there so someone should invite you soon just check that link in a day or two.

mje1980 said:
Join up the IBU's mate, based in the Illawarra. We have a few real ale get togethers a year, complete with engines etc. lots of us like ales!!!!
Hi mje1980 - thanks for the info!

warra48 said:
Thanks again warra48!

Spiesy said:
Kiama is a beautiful part of the world, lucky you!

Welcome aboard!
Cheers Spiesy! We do feel fortunate to live here too! I sometimes think we appreciate it more than some of the locals! I guess you can lose sight of what's around you due to over familiarity. Our kids love it, back home we were about as far from a beach as you could get (about two hours drive) That's a big deal there. Most of the time you just wouldn't bother. Besides, the sea would be a grey colour. And cold. brrrr....

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Where's BribieG?

I saw "Yorkshire" and cloning Yorkshire beers, and our resident Geordie hasn't poked his head up. Is he dead? :p

If tha want a yeast that leaves more body (lower attentuation), tha may wish to try Windsor Yeast (from the same stable as Notto).

And once Bribie does find this thread, you'll have enough "British" beer recipes and the like to sink a battleship.
Oooh, a Geordie! Hope he's friendly to Yorkshiremen! There again, as 'Northeners' we do have something in common :D

Fred_the_Big_Cat said:
Hi Mick, my name is Tim - otherwise known as Fred the Big Cat (don't ask it is a long story)

I have also just joined and are located in Dapto - Great to see that there a quite a few brewers in the Illawarra. I had no idea about the IBU and I will certainly join.

I have had a life long passion for exploring the dimensions of beer beyond the traditional aussie commercial lagers and until recently I was fortunate to often work close to the best beer bottle shop in Australia - Plonk at Fyshwick Markets in the ACT (1300 different beers and not one labelled Tooheys, Carlton, XXXX, etc). By willing to try any beer, I have greatly expanded my knowledge about what beer is and can be. Now of more limited financial means but with a lot more time on my hands, I want to use my experience of different beer styles to try to create my own tasty and interesting brews. The AHB recipes and forums have been a great help in teaching me how to get started.

I have now brewed about 8 kit and kilo beers and a couple of ciders - all were drinkable thankfully but with much room for improvement.

Last week, I completed the set-up of a new to me 4 tap refrigerator and keg rig and after carbonating 3 kegs yesterday, tonight I will sample the fruits on my labours - A Coopers Sparkling Ale clone (CSA is my day to day beer), an aussie lawn-mower beer for my conservative mates, and a Sorachi Ace IPA. My good wife will have control over one tap and a few days ago I started a vanilla and cinnamon cider from a recipe I found on AHB.

I am looking to convert my old beer fridge to a fermenter fridge for my next beer which will be from a Brewmaster Hefewizen wort. If that turns out well, I might use the Brewmaster worts as a base before I move on to setting up for all grain brewing.

I don't mind the dark beers and will be interested in hearing how the Old Peculiar recipe pans out. One my favourites, is Harviestoun Old Engine Oil but it becomes a bit sickly fairly quick.

Anyway, welcome to the Illawarra, you will certainly find our winters a bit milder than the Yorkshire Dales.
Hi Tim, thanks for the welcome!

I finished my ninth brew a couple of weeks ago (five are now fully 'consumed' and the remains of the rest still conditioning under the house.

Sounds like you've been far more adventurous than me in the variety of brews produced (I'm still trying to produce the perfect dark ale!)

Dapto ey? We get a small contingent from Dapto come into the local pub here sometimes on the train. :chug:
koots said:
IBU forum is hidden, I've put your names in the new members thread there so someone should invite you soon just check that link in a day or two.
Thanks! I can see that now someone has modded the permissions. Will look at that tomorrow after a good nights sleep. Bit of a long day :snores:

Eyup lad, sethe.

Dad Gateshead, Mam Barnsley, born Pontefract and abducted to Newcastle Upon Tyne. You're in the right place here on t'forum.

If you get into all grain brewing, due to the magic of Globalisation there's a wealth of UK ingredients available here nowadays, For example you can brew a TT Landlord clone using Thomas Fawcett's malts, West Yorkshire Ale yeast, UK hops and just add water. :beerbang:

What part of Yorkshire originally?

Bribie G said:
Eyup lad, sethe.

Dad Gateshead, Mam Barnsley, born Pontefract and abducted to Newcastle Upon Tyne. You're in the right place here on t'forum.

If you get into all grain brewing, due to the magic of Globalisation there's a wealth of UK ingredients available here nowadays, For example you can brew a TT Landlord clone using Thomas Fawcett's malts, West Yorkshire Ale yeast, UK hops and just add water. :beerbang:

What part of Yorkshire originally?
Eyup Bribie G, now then!

Mum and Dad from Leeds, brought me up in the Woollen Mill/Market town of Dewsbury half an hours drive away.

Spent most of my adult life in Sheffield before moving here in May last year!

Did you mention Timothy Taylors Landlord there? I used to drink that back in't day. Only one pub could keep it and serve it properly. Draught of course and so smooth you could sink a pint in one go. Obviously, to be polite if the women were around you'd make an exeption and do it in two :D

Thanks for the info re the yeasts and all grain brewing, I'll get there eventually. West Yorkshire Ale Yeast available here. Amazing!

Hi Lord Raja Goomba

Re your post:

If tha want a yeast that leaves more body (lower attentuation), tha may wish to try Windsor Yeast (from the same stable as Notto)

Thanks, I'll give it a try next time round. More body sounds good to me. The ebay seller I got my Nottingham sells it so more new stuff to try :)

BTW, love your Yorkshire accent ;)

Now, it's late. Better get missen off for a bit of shut eye!

koots said:
Now it makes sense, it's not hidden to me as a mod, so I assumed it was open to all.

Old Peculier. One of my favourites. Used to get it on tap in Sheffield during my student days.

Got a bottle from Dan Murphys a while back and it's still a top drop.

If anyone has a decent recipe for a clone I'd be very interested.

Oh and welcome to Australia and the forum! I think you'll love both.

And apparently there are a few ex-poms around here so you'll feel right at home.

pommiebloke said:
Oh and welcome to Australia and the forum! I think you'll love both.

And apparently there are a few ex-poms around here so you'll feel right at home.

pommiebloke said:
Old Peculier. One of my favourites. Used to get it on tap in Sheffield during my student days.

Got a bottle from Dan Murphys a while back and it's still a top drop.

If anyone has a decent recipe for a clone I'd be very interested.
Hi pommiebloke

Ex Sheffield student ey? I was born in West Yorkshire but spent the last thirty years living in Sheffield before moving here last year.

Where did you drink in Sheffield? The Hadfield, The Porter Cottage, The Royal Standard or the Broomhill pubs maybe?

There are a few Old Peculiar clones out there but I can't recommend one yet. My next brew is to be an Old Peculier though, followed maybe by A ruddles County, Abbot Ale or Old Spekled Hen. Spoilt for choice at present!

Aye, was a student at the Uni back in the day. Lived up at Ranmoor in the first year and then a lovely Victorian slum in Broomhall after that (think "The Young Ones"). Stayed a few years after graduation (worked at the Hallamshire Hospital) before leaving for the bright lights of London but Sheffield will always have special memories for me.

I've read a lot of theories about how to perfect Old Pec, mostly involving treacle/molasses or the like. Let us know how your attempt turns out.

pommiebloke said:
Aye, was a student at the Uni back in the day. Lived up at Ranmoor in the first year and then a lovely Victorian slum in Broomhall after that (think "The Young Ones"). Stayed a few years after graduation (worked at the Hallamshire Hospital) before leaving for the bright lights of London but Sheffield will always have special memories for me.

I've read a lot of theories about how to perfect Old Pec, mostly involving treacle/molasses or the like. Let us know how your attempt turns out.
I lived at Hunters Bar/Greystones two miles away from Ranmoor. There were some very 'interesting' parties to be visited in some of those rambling old Victorian houses in Broomhall back in't day. I clearly remember being offered a cup of 'Mushroom Tea' from a large ornate teapot. I declined, of course :D

The Old Pec recipe I'm working with doesn't contain molasses (and I can see that it would possibly be of benefit) but I'm going to stick with it because I've bought the ingredients in.

All in all it will be a dark ale and my first attempt at using grains so I won't be too disappointed of it's not very Peculiar. Or maybe I will be disappointed if it's Peculiar...... I know what I mean .... I think....
Old Peculiar recipe

Latest posts

Back