Fermentation Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usastman

Reaction score
I have generally always used ale yeast.

I am brewing a californian steam ale - using californian yeast. I understand that this is essentially a lager yeast - but ferments at higher temps.

Being used to ale yeasts that tend to ferment in around a week. My steam ale has been fermenting for abot 2 weeks now. Normally with ales the krausen (not sure if correct spealling) eventually dissipates and falls to the bottom.

Currently my gravity is 1.020 - I would expect this to drop another 10 points?

Questions:

- How long do lager yeasts tend to take to finish
- Like ales after fermenation should the top of wort and up being clear - i.e. krausen/head foam drops to the bottom of fermenter.

Cheers usastan

Currently my gravity is 1.020 - I would expect this to drop another 10 points?
No idea, what was the OG?

Questions:

- How long do lager yeasts tend to take to finish
- Like ales after fermenation should the top of wort and up being clear - i.e. krausen/head foam drops to the bottom of fermenter.

a. Depends how much yeast you pitched, the OG of the beer, ferment temp, etc. In my (limited lager) experience, generally longer. My ales take two weeks, lager 4+
b. Maybe, maybe not. Not all ales exhibit this behaviour (case in point the Kolsch I have fermenting at the minute which still has Krausen on topeven though ferment is basically finished.) It will eventually fall if you give it time, I expect. Measure the gravity over a few days if you want to know it's finished?

Thansk for the response.

OG was 1.049. I was expecting a FG of around 1.010.

At least I know to that as a lager yeast to expect a longer fermentation. Will relax have some beer while I wait and just keep an eye on gravity.

Thansk for the response.

OG was 1.049. I was expecting a FG of around 1.010.

At least I know to that as a lager yeast to expect a longer fermentation. Will relax have some beer while I wait and just keep an eye on gravity.

Are you using Wyeast 2122? According to Wyeast a high attenuation for that yeast is 71% which after plugging into promash gives me a FG of 1014, low being 1016.

Are you using Wyeast 2122? According to Wyeast a high attenuation for that yeast is 71% which after plugging into promash gives me a FG of 1014, low being 1016.

Yeah I am using 2122. Thansk for the FG possible figure. Probably needs to drop a little more. But will keep an eye on the gravity.

Will also depend on what temp you mashed at.

I've used 2112 a few times now and it's always been done inside of 2 weeks for a 1.050 ish wort fermented at 19-20, I pitch a 2L starter

Latest posts

Back