Extract Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Q

Reaction score
Howdy,

I recently picked up another 2 corny kegs (bringing my total to 6) so I need to put down a few brews to fill them up. At this stage I would like to do an extract similar in style to Tooheys Old and just a basic extract lager.

Can anyone suggest any recipes for these?

The Toohey's Old lends itself to extract brewing as a lot of the flavour comes from the dark malts, which only need steeping. I've just done an All grain old, so for a roughly similar extract version of my own recipe I would go for:

2.0 kg LDME
500g wheat malt extract (the other half of the tin should store ok if you clingwrap it in the fridge)
750g dex or white sugar (Tooheys Old contains 30 percent sugar)

Steep 200g choc malt (Joe white choc chit is nice) plus 100g Carafa T3 (a black malt) in 4 litres of hot water for an hour and keep to about 70 degrees. Strain the runnings into a stockpot, and add about 300 g of the LDME to help the hop utilisation.

IN the stockpot add 35g Pride of Ringwood or 20g Superpride and boil for 60 mins. That's all the hops you'll need as an Aussie Old should not have hop aroma, just some balancing bitterness.

Strain the whole thing into the fermenter. In the stockpot bring the extracts and dex to the boil in about 4 more litres of water, just to sanitize for five or ten minutes and pour into fermenter.

Use a good ale yeast such as Nottingham or US-05 and keep the temperature about 17 degrees as you do not want to develop fruity esters. This should be a dry, clean beer.

I'm not sure about the lager as I've never made an extract only lager, just kits, so maybe someone will help you on that one :)

Cheers

The Toohey's Old lends itself to extract brewing as a lot of the flavour comes from the dark malts, which only need steeping. I've just done an All grain old, so for a roughly similar extract version of my own recipe I would go for:

2.0 kg LDME
500g wheat malt extract (the other half of the tin should store ok if you clingwrap it in the fridge)
750g dex or white sugar (Tooheys Old contains 30 percent sugar)

Steep 200g choc malt (Joe white choc chit is nice) plus 100g Carafa T3 (a black malt) in 4 litres of hot water for an hour and keep to about 70 degrees. Strain the runnings into a stockpot, and add about 300 g of the LDME to help the hop utilisation.

IN the stockpot add 35g Pride of Ringwood or 20g Superpride and boil for 60 mins. That's all the hops you'll need as an Aussie Old should not have hop aroma, just some balancing bitterness.

Strain the whole thing into the fermenter. In the stockpot bring the extracts and dex to the boil in about 4 more litres of water, just to sanitize for five or ten minutes and pour into fermenter.

Use a good ale yeast such as Nottingham or US-05 and keep the temperature about 17 degrees as you do not want to develop fruity esters. This should be a dry, clean beer.

I'm not sure about the lager as I've never made an extract only lager, just kits, so maybe someone will help you on that one :)

Cheers
Sounds good, do you reckon I could swap the Carafa t3 for Roast Barley?

Sounds good, do you reckon I could swap the Carafa t3 for Roast Barley?

Bubba,

Carafa is a highly kilned Choc malt, especially the T3. Also note its Malted (roast barley is not). If its Carafa Special its also de-husked so its allot smoother/rounder in flavour too!

Personally i'd stick with a choc malt if you cannot access Carafa or if in dire need go with Black/Patent Malt. After that, Roast Barley. you only need around 1-2%, just enough to add a touch of roastiness, you dont want a porter here. It should be malty sweet with a neuance of roastiness.

Hope that helps.

Yes, they are all available from CraftBrewer and they can go as low as 500g so you don't need to go overboard on them. Carafa T3 is such a black b&*tard that I got a kilo in September, have been plodding throug it and only finished it yesterday in the old :p

Craftbrewer should be able to get stock to you by Friday.

Cheers for the old recipe suggestions, I will be definitely putting it down on the weekend.

As for the bog stock lager, how would this go?

2.6kg LDME
0.3kg Carapils
Xgm Hallertau/hersbrucker/saaz @ 60
Xgm Hallertau/herbrucker/saaz @ 20
Either a saflager or wyeast yeast

Not to sure what amounts or what type of hop to use as I havent had any experience with the hops I have listed.

Cheers for the input on the old recipe, its now bubbling away in the fermenter. I couldn't get my hands on any POR yesterday so I went and used 40gm of Norther Brewer.

Northern Brewer should work, it's actually a continental hop AFAIK.

Using Bribies recipe above and what I have, I have come up with the following

2.8kg LDME
.2kg Wheat Malt
150g Choc Malt
150g Caraf 2
30g POR for 60 Minutes

Brewed with nottingham

Do you think this will come out ok?

Cheers

Robbo

I've had luck with DDME for an "Old" typer beer with no dark grains in the steep. DDME tends to be a bit more expensive though...

I've had brews finish at around 1.020 when using ~3kg LDME when I was expecting around 1.016 (25L)

I've now started to use 2kg LDME and 500g dex / sugaz to get the FG a bit lower

However, the ESB I made finished at 1.020 and is very nice indeed...

edit: screw brewing low FG beers... I'll just eat less so it balances out...

Latest posts

Back