Experimenting With New Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba Q

Reaction score
Howdy,
Now that I have 5 BIAB AGs under my belt I wanted to start experimenting with hops that I havent used before. I have some warrior, newport & palisade hops that I bought from craft brewer. What I was wanting to do was use an identical grain bill for 3 batches (I have 3 bags made up from craft brewer using the grain bill from Jayses Skunk Fart Ale) and use one hop type in each batch so I could get a feel of the bittering, aroma and flavour of each hop. To keep things scientific I will be hopping all batches to 35 IBU and fermenting them all with US-05.

Does this sound like a good idea? Can anyone say if the above hops are good for using by themselves, if not then I have odd amounts of leftover hops from previous brews (POR, northern brewer, cascade, progress, green bullet, amarillo, spalt, b saaz flowers, willamette, first gold, sapphire, nelson sauvin, hallertau mittlefrueh & herbrucker)

Cheers.

Brilliant Idea - would be interested to hear how it turns out

I've not used the hops myself although I have a all Warrior APA coming up

rightio, I will be using the warrior for the first batch, according to promash i shoud hit about 37IBU with the following
15gm @ 50
10gm @ 20
10gm @ 0

Will you be no chilling? Do you plan to compensate for the added bitterness in any way?

Will you be no chilling? Do you plan to compensate for the added bitterness in any way?
crap! didnt think of that, no chill usually add about 5 IBU's doesnt it?

rightio,
12.5 gm @ 60
10gm @ 15
10gm @ 0

should give me 31 IBU

crap! didnt think of that, no chill usually add about 5 IBU's doesnt it?

Thats debateable. Some think it does, some think it doesn't. Some think it's dependant on hop alpha and amount used. So a yes, no, and maybe, depending on point of view.

Quite apart from the IBU calculations etc I think you'll find Newport to give a bitter beer with very little flavour and aroma. I well be proven wrong as my batch was a bit old and on special from Ross, but would be interested to see how you go.

I like to try out hops by making a pale ale with 10% dextrose, a neutral bittering hop then add anywhere between 20 and 40g of the hop I want to try out at the end of the boil, I use US-05 so there are no yeasty flavours in the way. I've done quite a few hops like this and have just kegged one using pacific gem, 40G at flame out. Unfortunately there is no flavour to speak of. Pacific gem is a very clean bittering hop.

cheers

Browndog

It's definately a worth while education making single hop beers.
I've made a few in my time, though the grist hasn't been the same, I've tried to keep the IBU around 30-40 and equal amounts of flavouring hops (20g at 15, 5 and dry).
Naturally some hops are far more potent than others, so you may have to adjust the bittering hops to make up for that. Low AA hops you may need to add some extra hops at 60 min, as opposed to Warrior where a little goes a long way! :blink:
But yeah, with 20g (24L batch) of for flavour and aroma, I've found the hops really punch through, but I reckon you could get away using smaller quantities later on...depending on potency, acidity, etc.
Don't be afraid to experiement, best way to learn! ;)

Phase 1 of the experiment has is now in the fermenter
24 ltrs @ 1050

It may be a week or two before I get cracking on phase 2

Rightio...

Phase 2 is currently being mashed at the moment, the hop schedule is as follows
25gm Pallisade @ 60
25gmPallisade @ 20
10gm Pallisade @ 0

Phase 1 is now sitting @ 1010 so I will be kegging it in the next couple of days

I've made a few single hop beers so far, and have a few more planned. I'm interested how your flavour/bitterness balance comes out wrt no chilling, as it's something I'm still experimenting with.

Phase 3 is now sitting in a no chill
20gm Newport @ 60
10gm Newport @ 20
15gm Newport @ 0

this one has been dubbed Newport Ladies And The Decompressed Cranium

Latest posts

Back