Drying Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
Heya all.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on drying hops. The father in law just posted the first years crop of hallertauer and i got a bit more than i bargained for... As I don't think they will fit in the oven.

What do you do?

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

I had some extra fly screen from screen doors lying around. I layed mine on that for 3-4 days and they dried perfectly.

Beers,
Doc

Anywhere darkish dry and warmish with no humidity is fine.

I had no room at my place last year and I gave them to my mum who dried them upstairs in the spare room of her house.
Just spread out all over the bed on a sheet.

cheers
johnno

Thanks Doc. Had a look and couldn't find anything to do similar, so i'll just have to lay it out on paper and turn it often.

I make a great deal of effort to dry my hops. :D They get picked into a cardboard box & then left in the shed for a few days.
I check them every couple of days after that, bending the stem bit until the day comes that it snaps instead of bending. Then they get ziplock bagged, labelled & thrown in the freezer. Good tasting beer ensues :chug:

Anywhere darkish dry and warmish with no humidity is fine.

I had no room at my place last year and I gave them to my mum who dried them upstairs in the spare room of her house.
Just spread out all over the bed on a sheet.

cheers
johnno

Then put them in your pillow and sleep well.

mine go in a big salad bowl, sat on the computer modem, turn regularly.

Latest posts

Back