Does Anyone Know...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score
OK, I lashed out last week and bought a ctn of Murrays Nirvana PA as a bit of a treat.

3 out of the 4 packs are now demolished with mates over for a BBQ but something was telling me its not the same as I remember or not quite right. I just put it down to me and being slightly inebriated.

Anyways last night I cracked an Alpha PA (which I passed as meh, not worth $85 a ctn) then a Murrays. As the cap fell on the bench it landed next to the APA cap, both bottom side up, and noticed that inside the MNPA cap had brownish/blackish spots and the APA was the normal translucent colour. I thought it was a bit odd and on looking closer it looked like mould spots growing in the rubbery stuff. So the attention went from the cap to the beer itself. Poured it into the glass, very highly carbonated, cloudy and smelt a bit odd, hmmm, take a sip and it tasted like the others I have already consumed, but it definitely wasn't quite right. Can't describe the taste though - but as an uneducated guess old beer thats been sitting for a few years. Checked the BB dates and it's 07/10.I didn't take much notice of any of the previous beers out of this ctn except the taste.

So anyways I went and grabbed a few of the empties out of the recycle bin and checked the caps and they were also had that black spotty colour. Does that give any indication there is something wrong (apart from the taste) with it or what the problem could possibly be?

Cheers

Sully

Keep the last bottles and email a customer complaint with some pics of the black spots. There will possibly be a small batch number on the bottle that wil help them identify the batch, they will tell you where to look if they use this numbering system. In any case they deserve the feedback. And you deserve to have good beer for your money.

Cheers,

Screwy

Heres a photo of the inside of the cap.

Cheers

Sully

Image1.jpg

Jesus, that looks disgusting! Shoot an email off to Shawn at the brewery and he'll no doubt help you out

That doesn't look good at all :eek:

Email sent... will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Sully

happened to me once about 12 months ago.. problem with the bottling line not capping correctly.. Shaun was very surprised but also apologetic and very helpful...

I feel you will getting some compensation... As I did...

Whoa! Massive guilt trip. I saw that manky crap in the cap Saturday night Sully and meant to show you but the personal consumption was up :icon_drunk: and totally forgot to tell ya with all of the goings on. Whats even worse is I feed at least 3 or 4 to Mrs GravityGuru! :eek: Yikes!!

Mate definitely worth a complaint and trip back to Dan's. Seriously though mate that's the 3rd time now we have been caught by Dan's with inferior and or poorly handled beer from that retailer. FFS they need to teach their staff how to handle craft beer.

Chap Chap

Whoa! Massive guilt trip. I saw that manky crap in the cap Saturday night Sully and meant to show you but the personal consumption was up :icon_drunk: and totally forgot to tell ya with all of the goings on. Whats even worse is I feed at least 3 or 4 to Mrs GravityGuru! :eek: Yikes!!

Mate definitely worth a complaint and trip back to Dan's. Seriously though mate that's the 3rd time now we have been caught by Dan's with inferior and or poorly handled beer from that retailer. FFS they need to teach their staff how to handle craft beer.

Chap Chap
I dunno - if there is mould growing inside the cap then that is not Dan Murphy's fault. If it was skunked I would blame them. IMO the fault here sits firmly with Murrays. They may have a problem with hygeine in their brewhouse or their bottling line, if that photo is representative of their recent batches.

Cheers - Snow.

agree.. if its mould, theres oxygen in there.. so it wouldnt have been capped properly...

I dunno - if there is mould growing inside the cap then that is not Dan Murphy's fault. If it was skunked I would blame them. IMO the fault here sits firmly with Murrays. They may have a problem with hygeine in their brewhouse or their bottling line, if that photo is representative of their recent batches.

Cheers - Snow.

If that was mould in that photo, you might be right, but I don't think it is... If the bottles had that much 'mould' under the cap from an infection, I think there would have been more issues with bottle bombs, or at the very least gushers on opening.

I'm not sure if Murrays bottle condition their APA, but under that cap looks like yeast that has been excessively hot... Kinda like if you leave a fermenter out in ambient conditions and it gets warm, you get that brown ring of yeast around the top...

Anyway, I think we should let the people that made the stuff, and are a probably a little more in the know about their product than any of us, respond before we start bandying about suggestions they have sanitation problems in their brewery

I won't say if it's mould or not, but whatever it is, its actually in the rubbery shyte that seals the cap and it isn't in any other beer that we consumed on the day or I have since. The only other time I have ever come across this is a 6 pack of Boags that I couldn't remember buying and the BB date was 18 months prior to finding them...

That photo is of the worst one, here is a pic of all of the ones I could find that haven't been sent to landfill...

Image1.jpg

Chap Chap

Wouldn't worry Chap Chap... I didn't even pick it up at the time either...

Don't think its Murphys handling issues, the bottles I have are in date and they do turn it over fairly quick at North Lakes. The previous problems was the BB dates from different stores that don't seem to have the turn over.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back