Do bubbles affect the effect?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
I have noticed that I tend to get more pissed more quickly drinking highly carbed commercial beers than I do from my HBs which generally have a higher alc content.

Discuss...

perhaps becaue yours taste better you drink slower and savor the flavour?

HB helps the hangover, but same-same for effect.

Not sure about getting pissed quicker, sometimes it seems to only take a few and I'm on my way. Other times it seems like I could drink shit loads and not feel the effects.

As for hangovers.........I can genuinely say that it is very rare for me to get a h.o from my own beer, but give me a sixpack or two of xxxx gold and you'd better give me a few paracetamol tablets as well.

Years ago, back when I was young and more stupid than I am now, I decided to drive home after a big night drinking Scotch and water.

I'd had a lot to drink and there's no way I should have been driving. On the way home, I got pulled over for a 'random licence check' and of course they put me on the bag.
Well, I couldn't believe it and the cop couldn't believe it either, but I blew under and was allowed to continue on my way.

Was it faulty testing equipment, or was it that I was drinking still water with my Scotch? I've asked myself that question a few times.

Black Devil Dog said:
Years ago, back when I was young and more stupid than I am now, I decided to drive home after a big night drinking Scotch and water.

I'd had a lot to drink and there's no way I should have been driving. On the way home, I got pulled over for a 'random licence check' and of course they put me on the bag.
Well, I couldn't believe it and the cop couldn't believe it either, but I blew under and was allowed to continue on my way.

Was it faulty testing equipment, or was it that I was drinking still water with my Scotch? I've asked myself that question a few times.
Cop: "Well clearly you're heavily intoxicated - you're slurring your words, telling me how much you love me and claiming that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. But my handheld measurement device says otherwise... move along sir, nothing to see here"

It was a little like that.

He said, "well according to this, you're under, so you're ok to go". I suggested that maybe one of the others could drive and he replied that I could drive, but that I should go straight home, because if he saw me again, he'd put me on the bag and was fairly confident that next time the reading would be different.

I couldn't believe it, not only did he let me off, but suggested that I'd be ok to drive.

I don't know about bubbles, but when drinking I found that warm beer got to me faster than a cold beer, could have been that the warmer temperature allowed the alcohol to be absorbed into the blood stream more quickly.

Black Devil Dog said:

Was that those bags they used to use with crystals in? I don't know if it was an old wives tale but apparently if you had something sweet after drinking it rendered the bag useless.

It would have been something like that, I think they changed colour if you were over a certain limit and then they'd take you back to the station for further testing.

I heard somewhere that eating mints affected the accuracy.

blair said:
Its the " champagne" effect ;)
Yep that's what I was getting at. Not sure if you are tongue in cheek or serious but Ill assume the later.

I was listening to Dr Karl a couple of weeks ago and some bloke rang in about 'knocking' the bubbles out of beer using very large and loud subwoofers. Apparently that works. But anyhow DK said it is a well known fact that bubbles in shampoo make alcohol be absorbed faster in the blood stream than a flat drink.
I had noticed previously that commercial beer tends to go to my head quicker than HB so I think the lower carbonation levels in my HB are a fairly reasonable explanation.

My shampoo has no bubbles and I've never got hungover from washing my hair....case closed!

Droopy Brew said:
Yep that's what I was getting at. Not sure if you are tongue in cheek or serious but Ill assume the later.

I was listening to Dr Karl a couple of weeks ago and some bloke rang in about 'knocking' the bubbles out of beer using very large and loud subwoofers. Apparently that works. But anyhow DK said it is a well known fact that bubbles in shampoo make alcohol be absorbed faster in the blood stream than a flat drink.
I had noticed previously that commercial beer tends to go to my head quicker than HB so I think the lower carbonation levels in my HB are a fairly reasonable explanation.
The bubbles in champagne (aka French leg opener) opens the lower sphincter in the stomach which in turns allows the alcohol to pass into the small intestine and absorbed into the blood stream faster. Thats why prople get drunk faster drinking champagne than wine.

Latest posts

Back