Decadent Relishes & Preserves Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score
After visiting Eumundi Markets yesterday and trying a plethora of Jams, Sauces and Relishes etc, but not wanting to spend ~$8 - $12 a jar (I did grab a couple though but only if it was sensational), I started thinking about making my own.

Found Doc's Caramelised Onion Beer Chilli Chutney so far, which is one of the first I will be making :icon_drool2: .

I would reckon there are plenty of you all out there who make your own, so share your recipes if you feel. There are plenty of recipes on the interwebs also, so if you have tried and its terrific post it up.

Cheers

Sully

I made a apricot worcestershire sauce from a recipe out of A year in a bottle. I put it all on the wok burner on max heat and then fell asleep for 3 hours, ended up reducing down a little further than it should have but came out with a great smokey flavour... probably from some burning on the bottom.

I think we made a double batch as we had 3kg of apricots, but it all went into one of those cheap 20L big W pots.
Paraphrased slightly;

1.5kg stoned apricots
5 Litres dark malt vinegar
1kg brown sugar
3 cups treacle
125g garlic cloves, chopped
125g fresh ginger, bruised
30g mustard seeds
60g allspice berries
60g cloves
2 tablespoons salt

Place all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook for 3 hours or until the sauce has thickened slightly, then strain.
Pour into sterilised bottles and seal immediately. store in a cool dry and dark place for up to 2 years, the sauce can be consumed at once but improves in flavour after 2 weeks.

Author note: I strain through a colander, which means that the mustard seeds along with just a little of the pulp are retained in the final product. I could strain it again but choose not to as it adds flavour as it matures.

Bought a copy of Sally Wise's Year in a bottle ( a ABC book),has some great recipes for relishes, jams, etc. well worth the money
I have used four of her recipes and all have come out a treat

Cheers Chris

Every summer we end up with a glut of zucchinis. If we don't eat them fast enough (like 3-4 a day) they grow into monsters and we end up pickling them. Last summer I did Gladys's Zucchini Relish, which was a hit with the family and even the neighbour over the road.

10 cups fresh zucchini, unpeeled and ground (about 4 large)
4 cups ground onions
5 tablespoons salt
2 1/4 cups white vinegar
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped

• Mix first 3 listed ingredients together well and let stand overnight.
  • In morning, drain; rinse in cold water and drain again.
  • In large kettle mix the next 8 ingredients and bring to a boil.
  • After a boil is reached, add the zucchini mix along with the green and red sweet pepper.
  • Bring to a boil again.
  • Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
  • Pour into hot jars and process in hot water bath for 5 minutes, to seal.

We go through about a jar a month and its great on sandwiches, hot dogs, hot dinners, etc.

Felton ... in regards to your Apricot Wors sauce I believe adding Tamarind paste to the mix is the secret ingredient used by a MAJOR producer of this sauce in the UK ... Lea ....

Although the sound of yours does come up pretty damn good ... how did it turn out ??? More fruity obviously ...

Cheers

Matt

It was bloody great, going to make it again soon if enough apricots survive to ripeness.

After visiting Eumundi Markets yesterday and trying a plethora of Jams, Sauces and Relishes etc, but not wanting to spend ~$8 - $12 a jar (I did grab a couple though but only if it was sensational), I started thinking about making my own.

Found Doc's Caramelised Onion Beer Chilli Chutney so far, which is one of the first I will be making :icon_drool2: .

I would reckon there are plenty of you all out there who make your own, so share your recipes if you feel. There are plenty of recipes on the interwebs also, so if you have tried and its terrific post it up.

Cheers

Sully

I make a yum "Bread and Butter Cucumber" pickle, really delish with bbq and a beer, anyone wants the recipe just shout. Having a go at homemade pickled onions at the moment

Every summer we end up with a glut of zucchinis. If we don't eat them fast enough (like 3-4 a day) they grow into monsters and we end up pickling them. Last summer I did Gladys's Zucchini Relish, which was a hit with the family and even the neighbour over the road.

4 cups ground onions
5 tablespoons salt
2 1/4 cups white vinegar
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch

• After a boil is reached, add the zucchini mix along with the green and red sweet pepper.
  • Bring to a boil again.

We go through about a jar a month and its great on sandwiches, hot dogs, hot dinners, etc.
awsome soudning. we have the same problem each summer. Ive got about 6 BIG bastards atm and more growing (and I mean small-med pumpking size).

just one question, what do you mean by "10 zucchini, unpeeled and ground"?

Kaiser your inbox is full :)

anyone recond ground is the US term ie minced? so inotherwords grate it up???

awsome soudning. we have the same problem each summer. Ive got about 6 BIG bastards atm and more growing (and I mean small-med pumpking size).

just one question, what do you mean by "10 zucchini, unpeeled and ground"?

my dad loves zucchini, i will pass this onto him

4 cups ground onions
5 tablespoons salt
2 1/4 cups white vinegar
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch

• Bring to a boil again.

meant i will pass this recipe onto dad, making corn relish today, goes great with quark on a thick slice of ploughmans loaf and a beer

Only today realised how easy it is to make mustard at home.
Have brown mustard seeds, that I use in currys and other random recipes, and read up today that they're spose to be quite hot, but it never seemed that way.
Sure enough, ground up some seeds in a mortar and pestle, then added some water to make it into a paste and BAM...hot stuff!
Apparently "heat" component in the seeds come out only in the presence of water...interesting stuff.

Needless to say, I wouldn't mind taking it to the next level and making a batch of mustard...possibly combine it with some of the birds eye chillis off the plant at home.
Anyone have any mustard recipes?

Kaiser your inbox is full :)

anyone recond ground is the US term ie minced? so inotherwords grate it up???

Sorry, have cleared it out.

Yes, skin on and all, just grate them up. I generally can't be bothered grating the onion, so I just blitz it in the food processor for a bit, but the zucchini I always grate. We use all our overgrown zucchinis for this, as it doesn't matter if they're a bit woody and tasteless, they still taste good in a pickle.

Made this a while back, just onto the last jar now - everyone seems to love it!

My comments are in the [brackets]!

Caramelised Onion & Balsamic Relish

1/3 cup olive oil
4 large red onions, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
teaspoon salt

METHOD

Heat oil in a large deep frying pan. Add onions and garlic; cook, covered, over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. [I usually cook for 2-3 hours depending on softness - I also usually add some beer in to kick-start the caramelisation :)]

Stir in mustard seeds and cook a further 10-30 minutes.

Add sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to the boil, reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the onions are caramelised. [again, I usually cook for another hour or so]

Spoon mixture into hot sterilised jars; seal while hot. Keep refrigerated.

Cheers

Have brown mustard seeds, that I use in currys and other random recipes, and read up today that they're spose to be quite hot, but it never seemed that way.
Sure enough, ground up some seeds in a mortar and pestle, then added some water to make it into a paste and BAM...hot stuff!
Apparently "heat" component in the seeds come out only in the presence of water...interesting stuff.

Needless to say, I wouldn't mind taking it to the next level and making a batch of mustard...possibly combine it with some of the birds eye chillis off the plant at home.

Go to website wwwapinchof.com/mustardmaking they tell you how to make from seed and have a few other recipes for flavoured mustards, good luck

Cooking with Beer page 166 :D

Basic Brewing Video also had a segment on making mustard, but using beer as the liquid (September 28th - ).

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Variation on Italian pickled eggplant.

Slice some eggplant into matchsticks. Salt overnight, rinse well, allow to dry.
Dice some garlic, fine chop parsely.

Place garlic into pan with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and put on low heat (yes place in cold, dry pan).

Add white wine vinegar when aromatic, slowly simmer for 15 mins ensuring garlic never sticks or burns.

In a clean, sanitised, dry jar put a layer of the oil mix, followed by a layer of the eggplant. Repat until the jar is full, seal and let sit a week or so. The longer it sits, the less of a vinegar bite you will get. Can add herbs or chilli etc.

Botulism hopefully not an issue if you use enough vinegar to keep the pH down so for christ's sake don't be shy with the vinegar and don't paralyse yourself.

4 cups ground onions
5 tablespoons salt
2 1/4 cups white vinegar
4 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon cornstarch

• Bring to a boil again.

we some pics form making this on the weekend. onyl thing id change is to peel some of the zucchinis. mine were large buggers and some of the skin is still a bit harder than i'd like. other than that, loved it. this is about 1.5 times the recipe

grated zuchini and blitzed onion with salt. its amazing how quick that salt goes to work drawing out the liquid. oh and this is what you do with broken coopers platic mixing spoons...
2012_02_04_19.59.32.jpg

missed a few cooking shots. so this is a pic of the final relish
2012_02_05_13.13.05.jpg

a few jars to get through now. yum (ignore the imposted jar of strawb jam in the front - i recon coles should give me free stuff for the product placement in the pics lol)
2012_02_05_13.13.09.jpg

Latest posts

Back