Damn Good Stout recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone with a good stout recipe they can put up, Dry, Sweet, Oatmeal or other.
Here is a recipe that in 2015 Won AABC Dry Stout Category. It also won the NSW comp for that category.

The Brewer Pete Ptolemy has given me permission to share his recipe.

Cheers Steve

Petes Stout.png

Here is a milk stout I like the look of taken from BYO 250 Classic Clones. Will be my next brew so untried by me.O.G 1,068 F.G 1,028 IBU 27
2.00 kg 2 row pale malt
0.91 kg wheat malt
0.45 kg flaked oats
0.95 kg Carapils malt
0.95 kg crystal malt (60 L)
0.37 kg roasted barley
0.18 kg black patent malt
0.45 kg Lactose
7.25 AAU Magnum hops (60 mins) 15 gram
2.5 AAU Williamette hops (15 mins) 14 gram
Wyeast 1187 (Ringwood Ale) yeast
Mash at 69 C for 1 hour, Boil for 90 minutes adding hops as shown and Lactose added last 15 minutes of the boil.
Ferment at 21 C.

Just on that Double Stout grain bill..
3.0 lb. (1.4 kg) mild malt
3.0 lb. (1.4 kg) English pale malt
2.0 lb. (0.91 kg) brown malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) No. 1 invert sugar
13 oz. (0.37 kg) black malt

Would vienna be a good substitute for mild malt? Also, golden syrup for inverted sugar?

Mark is the best to answer about the invert sugar and golden syrup, plenty of people do. And you can sub Vienna for mild malt. What I did was cold steep for 24 hours the and black & brown malt to make for a smoother finish and it was a nice smooth drinking stout.
Actually I did use Lyle Golden Syrup come to think of it.

Last edited:
Mark is the best to answer about the invert sugar and golden syrup, plenty of people do. And you can sub Vienna for mild malt. What I did was cold steep for 24 hours the and black & brown malt to make for a smoother finish and it was a nice smooth drinking stout.
Actually I did use Lyle Golden Syrup come to think of it.
No need to use invert (its very 1970's) yeast can cope with a fair amount of sugar (think how many kit and kg of white get made every day) Golden Syrup and Treacle are both invert and apart from the fermentable content, should only be thought of in terms of the colour and flavour they bring to the finished beer - you really do need to use more than I would want in my beer to get all that much of either.

I think Mild Malt is gone from the list of available malts, some Vienna or Munich can add a lot of body. if you want to build up the aroma, try some Aromatic Malt or Abby from Weyermann, both are designed to add malty aroma to dark beers. Being "Stewed Malts" they also bring a lot of the body and pallet fullness that Vienna and Munich bring.

Coopers use what they call "Roasted or Dark Malt" My local calls it Roasted Malt the only difference between Coopers Pale and their Dark Ale is a substation of about about 5% Roast Malt, I suspect the Coopers Stout is somewhere in the 10-15% Roast range.
If you want to get close to the Coopers flavour, Roast Malt is the key.

Mark I ended up about 4 points lower than expected (got more wort in the fermenter) I have been thinking about using some honey in a brew, what do you reckon about putting some honey in my oatmeal stout at high krausen. I have been put off putting it in the boil I have read it will ferment out and barely any honey flavour left.

Depends on the honey, use something like Leatherwood and you will know its there, a light honey like clover can disappear in a big beer, no matter when you add it.
Honey is about ~80% solids, ~20% water, of the solids about ~78% are fermentable, leaving a pretty small (<2%) fraction to add anything other than alcohol.
Its a good idea to know what your start of boil Volume and Gravity should be, no law says you have to use too much water and it causes all sorts of issues down stream.
Do your calculations properly, if necessary extend your boil time to get you to the planed starting point, then add your hops and start the clock.
Mark

Thanks for that, the honey wasn't a specific type just a couple of tubs of honey I got for $7.00 a kilo, got my calculations right but forgot take into account the liquor I had steeped the grains which I added towards the end of the mash.

But is it real honey or fake Chinese honey, China is about the only country whose honey production is going up, thanks to corn sugar and other methods. Farmers are even having to hand pollinate their fruit trees in high pollution areas because of a lack of bees.

You have some very worthwhile & detailed responses.
all are basically all grain recipes.
You don't actually say but I'm guessing that suits you.
Now for the last 20 years or so I have made a dead simple Coopers double stout that is a pretty close clone of Gunness. It's bitter & strong tasting., like Guinness.
Use 2 x 1.7 Kg cans of Cooper plain stout. That's it.
Ferment with coopers dry yeast at about 20 to 24 Deg C.
I keg my beer, but if bottling I recommend the full teaspoon of sugar for bottle fermentation.
Don't offer it to the ladies, not their thing!

But is it real honey or fake Chinese honey, China is about the only country whose honey production is going up, thanks to corn sugar and other methods. Farmers are even having to hand pollinate their fruit trees in high pollution areas because of a lack of bees.
Just checked the country of origin on the label India! They are as bad as the Chinese for faking stuff.:(
Will probably end up on my porridge.

Not a Stout but what looks like a good Porter clone.
Sinebrychoff Porter from Finland
19 litres all grain OG = 1,070 FG = 1,020 IBU = 45 SRM = 51 ABV = 6.1%

4.7 kg Weyermann Munich malt
1.4 kg Weyermann Vienna malt
0.68 kg Weyermann Carafa 111 malt (470 L)
0.45 kg Dingemans Cara Munich malt (45 L )
10.5 AAU Hallertau Hersbrucker hops 63 gram at 4.75% alpha acids 60 mins
3 AAU Czech Saaz hops 28 gram at 3.0% alpha acids 30 mins
Wyeyeast 2124 (Bohemian Lager) yeast or White Labs WLP830 (German Lager yeast )

Mash at 67 C for 60 mins
Boil 60 mins
Ferment at 12 C

Back