Coopers IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
They are realeasing an IPA for draught only, I have reservations of the kind of IPA it will be however plan to try it at the GABS festival to see what they came up with.

Hopped with Enigma and Cascade.

I will try and add the link.

[SIZE=12pt]I tried this at Gabs, I have a high regard for Coopers Sparking and BES but not keen on this creation, to me the aroma was like candy floss and Juicyfruit sprayed with Britney Spears’s perfume, the flavour, esters of ethyl acetate and isoamyl acetate (I think) and a fairly prominent but non-descript hop profile ( I guess that’s Enigma)[/SIZE], I have no idea about the malt, I assume there was some used in the brewing process,
[SIZE=12pt]To me it was weird and complex but not an engaging ‘sit down with it for a while’ kind of way, approach it a bit like a crazy guy at a train station shouting obscenities at passes by, [/SIZE]

I had it at GABS too. It was on my list of definite beers to try.......what a disgrace! It was ******* crap.

I was so disappointed that they hadn't excecuted the style. And it's a play it safe beer for the masses, I put it in the category as sail and anchor IPA, cricketers arms IPA, and all those other so called IPAs that are terrible. I almost feel like emailing them and telling them that the consumers deserve better and don't bother bottling that beer.

Really it was more a new world pale ale with enigma and cascade distant members of the ingredients. The only thing about the beer was the quality of the beer itself as its made by absolute pro's, but they need to get with the program and bring to market a solid IPA that people remember and want to buy again.

The coopers pale ale is better and more distinct with its flavour profile and the reason it's so popular, the brew a for the style IPA is crap.

Rant over!!

Missed this one at GABS but it turned up at the local pub, was very disappointed. Apparently its 60IBU's but seemed like a lot less. Bugger all hop aroma, to me I got mostly malt with a little hop and then what seemed like the usual coopers banana yeast flavours, could be wrong. Definitely wont bother with it again.

It's a shame to hear these reviews as I have wanted a Coopers IPA for a while now.
Ideally 7% & 70 IBU with something like Topaz for bittering and a heap of Galaxy late & dry, fermented cooler to keep the esters low.

From what I read about Enigma here it seems like a good fit too, bugger !

Tried it on tap this arvo with lunch.

As IPA go, I dont like them much, I find that most brewers go a bit nuts with the bitterness ( and expect the same ) which is fine, but after 3 or so it gets way to much with the over cloying bitterness

I like this IPA, you can sit and have a decent few off them, sure its not in your face, but I like the way its done, and many others will

Remember, Coopers are going for the masses, not just those that have there own and only view on something

It was cloudy, but fine...not thick or creamy

Am going back very soon so will take a pic for the aid of product research

Well...I went back and had a few more....it is a sneaky beer......not hard to settle into for a session watching the band at the pub....

$5.90 Schooner

Its 6% and sits well even after a few, its kinda nice, gives you a nice warm glow after about 6 schooner

IPA.jpg

IPA2.jpg

from Brew News

The new Brew A is hopped 60/40 with Enigma and Cascade and Fahey describes it as a “Coopers version of an IPA”.
“We thought, we don’t really want it to be an English IPA, so you don’t get any of that woody noble hop character, which is probably what Thomas Cooper first had as his IPA.
“We don’t want to be really, really American, so you don’t really want to be smacked in the face with American hops – that would be very ‘un-Cooperish’.
“It’s not American, it’s not English, it’s not New World – it’s us,” he said.

From a marketing perspective Coopers extra strong or strong pale ale might have been a better term since IPA is reasonably specific and leads to certain expectations.

I'll happily try it if I come across it. May have to head to SA next month for work so I'll keep an eye out.

Its not in your face like so many IPA's, it is very enjoyable to drink all afternoon

Latest posts

Back