Computer on the fritz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
This is what my computer does now, (sorry for vid being a bit dark)

On any giving day it can work fine but then, like today it doesn't start.

Any suggestions to make it better?

have you tried c4. it fixes everything even if it wasn't broken to begin with

It looks like maybe a power supply problem. Just seems like the shutdowns are random, not like a specific step in the OS startup. Could be anything though.

It looks like maybe a power supply problem. Just seems like the shutdowns are random, not like a specific step in the OS startup. Could be anything though.
I have noticed on a lot of occasions, the computer is at idle and I click on the button to open Chrome and then it will shut down.

Maybe take the case sides off and see if it needs a good blow out, it needs good airflow to keep parts cool. Just that tiny bit of extra demand can cause a thermal shut down.

This is happening even from a cold start.

Its a Corsair case with 3x120mm, 1x190mm fans plus the top of the case is open for water cooling (not fitted). Plus looking inside, it's quite clean.

If you can swap out known good parts, ie psu, you can troubleshoot, if you don't have access its going to the shop. One thing you can try at home is unplug things one at a time, try fans, ram, graphics card etc.
A good shop should diagnose fairly quickly and not charge too much

Yep, back to the shop.
I'm going to run with your psu idea.

It's already been back to the shop a few times for this problem.

The nerds gave the cpu a re-goo, sent the gpu away for testing, did a burn in test, swapped ram out and some other stuff I can't recall atm. Plus I replaced the fancy powerboard and have tried different power outlets around the house. No change.

So back to the shop it goes.

Try a different house in another area may be a problem in the house or power supplied to the house .

Thought that, but no other devices or appliances do the same.

Reflash Motherboard BIOS install fresh .operating system on different hard drive.

Might want to check the Windows Update history to see if any updates have failed to install.

Control Panel > System & Security > Windows Update (select View Update History)

This is based on Windows 8.1. Should be something similar if you're running Win 10)

This is what my computer does now, (sorry for vid being a bit dark)

On any giving day it can work fine but then, like today it doesn't start.

Any suggestions to make it better?

I'd try booting from a "Linux Live" CD/DVD, see if it boots OK as it would exclude the existing OS from the equation.

Well after a lengthy and robusty shirt front discussion with the nob end at MSY, he conceded that the PSU was at fault.

Latest posts

Back