Cidre Doux - French Sweet Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully

mmmmmm...... BEEEER
Reaction score
Every few months we do a 5 course themed rotational dinner party with friends where everyone brings a nominated dish. Of course it is tomorrow night and I have still yet to prepare and the theme is French. Anyways, we have mains and I would like to do a Chicken in Hard Cider Sauce and the recipe calls for Cidre Doux. Does anyone know where I can pick up locally, or is there a more common Cider which would be a good substitute? I don't know much about Ciders so I could end up buying '5 Seeds' or Strongbows if I didn't ask.

Cheers

Sully

Dans down here in Sydney Stock a few ciders a couple of Spanish And French ones if i can remember DONT GO THE 5SEEDS!!!!
cheers humulus :icon_cheers:

dans or 1st choice occassioanally has a Aspall suffollk cider, its probably the closest you'll get, suffolk cider done to a french recipe (or something like that) not a bad drop to drink either.

cheers scoundrel.

Dans down here in Sydney Stock a few ciders a couple of Spanish And French ones if i can remember DONT GO THE 5SEEDS!!!!
cheers humulus :icon_cheers:
+1. I'd try for Dommaine Dupont organic, usually around $15 and super tasty. You could go Australian and get Bress, Henry of Harcourts or the one from Orange(dont remember the name).

Edit: If you want something to go with it try The Dupont Cidre Reserve. So good!

Every few months we do a 5 course themed rotational dinner party with friends where everyone brings a nominated dish. Of course it is tomorrow night and I have still yet to prepare and the theme is French. Anyways, we have mains and I would like to do a Chicken in Hard Cider Sauce and the recipe calls for Cidre Doux. Does anyone know where I can pick up locally, or is there a more common Cider which would be a good substitute? I don't know much about Ciders so I could end up buying '5 Seeds' or Strongbows if I didn't ask.

Cheers

Sully

Haven't seen cidre doux but there's a few other french/breton/Normandy ciders around which would probably do the trick. Usually packaged in Champagne bottles, naturally/spontaneously fermented and a very distinct flavour compared to Strongbow et al. You'll probably need a specialty shop or at least a DM's- can't imagine seeing it in liquor land.

Cidre bouche means sparkling cider and is the most common labelling I've seen.

I remember when cider was hardly mentioned on AHB - now it's everywhere and I love it :beerbang:

My local bottle-o has a Belgian cider which they are pushing at the moment. $9 for a 4-pack at 7%. Came in about 3 or 4 varieties. Can't remember the name but if we have it here in sticksville it must be everywhere?

Thanks guys, I ended taking a trek to DMs and picked up exactly what I was looking for. Cant remember names but they were about $16 a bottle. Ended up grabbing one for the dish and consumption while cooking, another to consume during the meal plus a couple of pear ciders as well from the same label. Well I am converted with soiders now - absolutely bewdiful.... :beerbang:

Cheers

Thanks guys, I ended taking a trek to DMs and picked up exactly what I was looking for. Cant remember names but they were about $16 a bottle. Ended up grabbing one for the dish and consumption while cooking, another to consume during the meal plus a couple of pear ciders as well from the same label. Well I am converted with soiders now - absolutely bewdiful.... :beerbang:

Cheers
Sully, give one of these a go boingo good stuff and their apple beer is fantastic. You'll probably have to go to Nectar to get it though.

Latest posts

Back