Cheers from Tommy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Originally from Denmark I have beer running in my veins. My wife and I moved here almost 7 years ago.

I've been brewing beer for about four years now, but I still feel like a n00b. I started brewing for two reasons; 1. I wanted to be able to experiment ad infinitum
2. Because the good beers cost an arm and a leg here. $60/slab is just too much!

I've only ever done all grain via fresh wort from Grain and Grape in Melbourne. I recently did my first partial mash. It was for an amber that turned out great! It's currently aging in a keg.

I've got two Better Bottle fermenters and a keg setup with three Cornys.

I live in Mitcham, Victoria.

Cheers,
\tommy

Welcome orange, truckloads of good (and not so good) info here. Small hop from partial to BIAB :)

So many from Melbourne recently...

Hay tommy, you're just round the corner from me, (Ringwood) if you want to pop round for a brew day (4v HERMS) one weekend, let me know, also, if you are interested, Melbourne brewers meet the last Wednesday night of the month (in Boronia) and is a good couple of hours of all thing beer.

If you want any further information let me know.

Cheers

Thanks guys!

@Yob I've been thinking about joining Melbourne brewers but have been procrastinating... :) Would be keen to join up! I'm not sure what 4v HERMS is but it sounds interesting. I haven't brewed with anyone else so it would be interesting to see someone else's setup.

BIAB is much 'simpler' and less space but I love my ghetto system, if you do a search for 'brew rigs', you will get an appreciation of how diverse brew systems can be, there is a dedicated HERMS thread if you wanted to look at a few of those as well.. Systems tend to be as unique as their builders / environmental factors allow.. Will let you know when I dig up those zomes mate.

Cheers

Where'd you get your better bottles mate? It seems really hard to find them here in Aus.

orangehead911 said:
Hi all,

Originally from Denmark I have beer running in my veins. My wife and I moved here almost 7 years ago.

I've been brewing beer for about four years now, but I still feel like a n00b. I started brewing for two reasons; 1. I wanted to be able to experiment ad infinitum
2. Because the good beers cost an arm and a leg here. $60/slab is just too much!

I've only ever done all grain via fresh wort from Grain and Grape in Melbourne. I recently did my first partial mash. It was for an amber that turned out great! It's currently aging in a keg.

I've got two Better Bottle fermenters and a keg setup with three Cornys.

I live in Mitcham, Victoria.

Cheers,
\tommy

Prob not as steep as Scandanavia? Retail at least. welcome Tommy

Muzduk said:
Prob not as steep as Scandanavia? Retail at least. welcome Tommy
Thanks for the welcome!

Beer is pretty inexpensive in Denmark. The two main premium beers in Denmark, Tuborg Green and Carlsberg Hof can routinely be picked up at $20/slab. A slab in Denmark is 30 330ml bottles. When I lived there you could easily buy store brand (sic!) beer for 20 cents/bottle.

Sweden and Norway on the other hand is a different story. Their slabs are 20 330ml beers and will cost you about $40, are only sold in state run stores and are never discounted...

Cheers!

$20 for 30 stubbies??!! In NZ I'm paying about $30 for a dozen 330ml stubbies of pretty good beer, not the high end craft beer but the next rung down. The bland megaswill shit (Tui, DB Draught, Lion Brown) is a little cheaper but still, that's crazy cheap.

Latest posts

Back