Blackberry Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pint of lager

brewing on the verandah
Reaction score
Blackberry season is in full swing and for those of you that are lucky enough to have access to unsprayed bushes to pick, you may like to give this a go.

2 kg blackberries
1.25 kg sugar
2 level teaspoons tartaric acid
1 level teaspoon tannin
nutrient
pectinase
2 campden tablets
yeast

This is for a 5 litre batch

Firstly pick your blackberries.

Crush the berries, I use a potato masher.

Add the sugar, acid, tannin, nutrient and bring it up to 5 litres.

Crush the campden tablets and dissolve in a cup of water, add to berry mix and stir. Leave 24 hours.

After the 24 hours has elapsed, add the pectinase at the rate suggested on the pectinase container. Leave another 24 hours.

Add the yeast.

Allow to ferment for 5 days.

Strain off the pulp. The pips from the berries are bitter and if you leave too long on the pips, the wine goes bitter.

Add 0.25 of sugar, stir and top up to 5 litres with water.

Wait a week or two, rack to a glass 5 litre demijohn and top up with wine.

Wait another two weeks, rack off sludge and top up with wine if necessary.

Wait for a few months then bottle.

I found 5 litre batches a pain so bought a 20 litre glass demijohn and do large batches.

Have fun picking so many berries. A glass of beer helps the picking process. Look out for snakes. There was a resident feral pig hiding the last time I went picking.

Looks Good POL :)

2kg of blackberries goes great in a wheat beer as well - mine last year was a winner...

Cheers Ross

Blackberry season is in full swing and for those of you that are lucky enough to have access to unsprayed bushes to pick, you may like to give this a go.

pint of lager

What yeast did you use for this? Do various wine yeasts make a difference in this style?

Cheers
Pedro

Looks Good POL :)

2kg of blackberries goes great in a wheat beer as well - mine last year was a winner...

Cheers Ross

totally agree with Ross, made the beer as well, two thumbs up from the ladies and the gents

-Phill

I use Lavlvin EC-1118 as it is generally very easy to get a hold of. Have not yet experimented with different wine yeasts in the brew.

Latest posts

Back